Kinda OT but relevant. Fed Ex rant

Ickybaby

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would like for one person to be able to explain the logic of this…..

I have a shipment arriving tomorrow. It doesn’t require a signature. Fed Ex will leave it at my door without seeing a soul. But I cannot have it held at a secure Fed Ex location because of a shipper restriction they can’t explain to me.

So I’m going to be gone tomorrow. No one will be home…. in a really busy apartment building where stuff gets set in a very publicly accessible lobby. If I cannot get the shipper to call Fed Ex, I cannot do anything…. Not even a vacation hold on delivery.

What am I missing? How is Fed Ex protecting the customers or themselves here?

RobbiefromAtlanta

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What is being shipped to you? If the shipper wants it delivered to your address only then FedEx does what the shipper asks. Is it a phone? Is it ammo? I work for FedEx trying to get an idea.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can reach out to the local hub by phone or in person. They will (ok, should) hold it. Also, you may be able to do a vacay hold or alt delivery online if you have an account with FedEx. I know MGR and Guitar Center do this once in awhile when they're not using UPS. I make them call and release this ridiculous restriction so I can then handle it on my end. I try to figure this out as soon as I get the tracking number.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Start using Greyhound Bus Shipping. It's a 1/3 of the price and they handle the boxes with kid gloves. You have to pick them up at the terminal, so there's no issues with theft, signing, etc.

Ickybaby

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You can reach out to the local hub by phone or in person. They will (ok, should) hold it. Also, you may be able to do a vacay hold or alt delivery online if you have an account with FedEx. I know MGR and Guitar Center do this once in awhile when they're not using UPS. I make them call and release this ridiculous restriction so I can then handle it on my end. I try to figure this out as soon as I get the tracking number.
I changed my plans slightly and I’m sticking around and waiting for it. That restriction is just idiotic. I can think of any single scenario where either party is protected by not allowing a package to be left at a secure Fed Ex drop off/pick up location.

I have about 8 back and forth with the shipper where he claims that EBay put the restriction on and he can’t change it. Both Fed Ex and EBay told me that’s not correct BUT the shipper will not do anything.

1st world problems.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Start using Greyhound Bus Shipping. It's a 1/3 of the price and they handle the boxes with kid gloves. You have to pick them up at the terminal, so there's no issues with theft, signing, etc.
Lately when I have run quotes on Greyhound shipping it hasn't been measurably cheaper. But part of that is because I have to drive 30 minutes to a depot that handles packages -- my local one doesn't. So factoring in an hour's worth of time and gas in the SUV, it often doesn't save anything for me. For large shipments maybe it would...the best experience I had was getting a 6 piece set with hardware from Denver to PA for about $200 cheaper than FedEx. But that was several years ago now.

gretschdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lately when I have run quotes on Greyhound shipping it hasn't been measurably cheaper. But part of that is because I have to drive 30 minutes to a depot that handles packages -- my local one doesn't. So factoring in an hour's worth of time and gas in the SUV, it often doesn't save anything for me. For large shipments maybe it would...the best experience I had was getting a 6 piece set with hardware from Denver to PA for about $200 cheaper than FedEx. But that was several years ago now.
FedEx sorting must be rough on boxes

I think they could damage an anvil no matter how you pack it

So if it’s remotely fragile I just can’t use them

if you buy their insurance and file a claim
they will make you take before and after including and sometimes overall pictures and still refuse in most cases to pay the claim

I’d love to meet the person that actually got a claim paid by FedEx

I’m about 0 for 4

But fedex ground is usually the cheapest

But unless you triple box and encase your drums in a lead box I’d avoid shipping with them

Go greyhound

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
FedEx sorting must be rough on boxes

I think they could damage an anvil no matter how you pack it

So if it’s remotely fragile I just can’t use them

if you buy their insurance and file a claim
they will make you take before and after including and sometimes overall pictures and still refuse in most cases to pay the claim

I’d love to meet the person that actually got a claim paid by FedEx

I’m about 0 for 4

But fedex ground is usually the cheapest

But unless you triple box and encase your drums in a lead box I’d avoid shipping with them
I have had the opposite experience. FedEx has the best track record for how they handle my packages. I have recently received a drum set damaged by UPS, and have had a couple things damaged by USPS as well. Insurance is a joke because all of the shipping companies will find a way out of paying unless you had them box it for shipment — and then you’re paying out the ear on the front end of the process. No reason to buy insurance unless my buyer says they want that, just pack really really well.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This has been discussed before...
Fedex and UPS do not sell insurance. They sell you the right to make a high value claim.
Big difference. If you ship a lot, it's a better bet to not pay for the higher value, as damages or lost items are pretty rare if you're an experienced shipper.
Reverb's extra value thing is a lot better as they often pay claims with little question.
As a side note, UPS honoring claims on shipments packed by ups stores is "interesting." UPS stores are not UPS...they're individually owned franchises. If you have a complaint with ups, the store will tell you to take it up with ups and not them. Though when selling services or charging higher than online shipping rates, the stores will say they "are" ups.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fedex gripe du jur:

Package scheduled for Sunday delivery and arriving on time. Sunday comes and goes , no package.

Monday morning website update: Package due to arrive Monday and arriving on time (today) . No package yet.

Monday evening website update: Expected Today Monday 20th. In Transit. Currently in NY I'm in CT. Chances are very slim its going to be here tonight its 7pm haven't seen a Fedex delivery in my hood after 6pm ....ever. These people are clueless. Happy I wasn't waiting on the porch.
5644C727-65B7-4622-BD32-3950EBF5F83F.jpeg

Last edited:

gretschdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have had the opposite experience. FedEx has the best track record for how they handle my packages. I have recently received a drum set damaged by UPS, and have had a couple things damaged by USPS as well. Insurance is a joke because all of the shipping companies will find a way out of paying unless you had them box it for shipment — and then you’re paying out the ear on the front end of the process. No reason to buy insurance unless my buyer says they want that, just pack really really well.
I agree

But I pack pretty well

And the claim process is a buy and leave it process. All one sided
You give the money
They rarely pay claims

But I’ve only had a few problems
But I always bought the insurance for peace of mind you know but I guess I was wrong

I really hate shipping anything remotely fragile anymore because of fear even legitimate damage No matter what will be denied

Last edited by a moderator:

gretschdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This has been discussed before...
Fedex and UPS do not sell insurance. They sell you the right to make a high value claim.
Big difference. If you ship a lot, it's a better bet to not pay for the higher value, as damages or lost items are pretty rare if you're an experienced shipper.
Reverb's extra value thing is a lot better as they often pay claims with little question.
As a side note, UPS honoring claims on shipments packed by ups stores is "interesting." UPS stores are not UPS...they're individually owned franchises. If you have a complaint with ups, the store will tell you to take it up with ups and not them. Though when selling services or charging higher than online shipping rates, the stores will say they "are" ups.

Interesting

What do you do if ups packs it
You buy insurance
It’s damaged

Who do u make the claim to?

Reaction score
With me, FedEx routinely organise a specific date for delivery, then try to deliver it multiple days early.

They have also claimed it is impossible to organise to collect anything at the depot, despite me having no problems turning up and collecting packages.

Minor issues overall, and FedEx is still as fast as anyone else, but I don't have these issues with DHL or UPS.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting

What do you do if ups packs it
You buy insurance
It’s damaged

Who do u make the claim to?
UPS "store" packs but claim goes through ups, I'm pretty sure.

Guessing UPS pushes folks to have the ups store pack as it's likely a huge profit margin for the store.
Ups gets a pretty big cut of the ups store's gross income.
And again, ups does not sell you insurance per se. You can buy shipping insurance through a third party, but it's not applicable for regular consumer stuff.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Getting to visit a Greyhound bus terminal is a special bonus.