KISS Creatures of the Night: the new beginning of KISS?

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, Creatures came out nearly 40 years ago. KISS was in a tailspin, caving into the cork-sniffing critics, having had a couple of flops (Unmasked, Music from the Elder), personnel problems, and doing genre of the moment records under the pressure of label execs. It was also the record that marked half of the band changing, as even though Ace Frehley’s face appears on the cover, Vinnie Vincent, the Wizard, was the guitar player on tour. This was the album that TWO alternate covers were made, though the band without make up pic was used for the CD released in 1989. This was the lineup that was going to be in the biggest publicity stunt yet: the KISS without make up!

I think the reason why this record took nearly 20 years to go platinum was that the hardcore fans were tired of something that looked cool but failed to deliver on content. The non-makeup fans were new fans of KISS, in general.

The Creatures record was one I dismissed, I admit. But I bought the album re-released on CD with the original cover. The title track blew my head off! “I Love it Loud” was ANOTHER great tune. “I Still Love You” is another great tune, and the prototype of the power ballad, still with the hard edge the core fans loved.

I don’t understand why I said “meh” to this one...

@Murat gave me the idea about this post.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, Creatures came out nearly 40 years ago. KISS was in a tailspin, caving into the cork-sniffing critics, having had a couple of flops (Unmasked, Music from the Elder), personnel problems, and doing genre of the moment records under the pressure of label execs. It was also the record that marked half of the band changing, as even though Ace Frehley’s face appears on the cover, Vinnie Vincent, the Wizard, was the guitar player on tour. This was the album that TWO alternate covers were made, though the band without make up pic was used for the CD released in 1989. This was the lineup that was going to be in the biggest publicity stunt yet: the KISS without make up!

I think the reason why this record took nearly 20 years to go platinum was that the hardcore fans were tired of something that looked cool but failed to deliver on content. The non-makeup fans were new fans of KISS, in general.

The Creatures record was one I dismissed, I admit. But I bought the album re-released on CD with the original cover. The title track blew my head off! “I Love it Loud” was ANOTHER great tune. “I Still Love You” is another great tune, and the prototype of the power ballad, still with the hard edge the core fans loved.

I don’t understand why I said “meh” to this one...

@Murat gave me the idea about this post.
One of my all time favorite Kiss tunes is Rock ' N Roll Hell, sung by GS of course but to my total surprise, co-written by Bryan Adams ! Go figure ...

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One of my all time favorite Kiss tunes is Rock ' N Roll Hell, sung by GS of course but to my total surprise, co-written by Bryan Adams ! Go figure ...
I nearly forgot about that one. And I turn it up on the rare occasion I hear it!

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Of course we all forgot (or like to forget) about “Forever” (Hot in the Shade), written by a Michael Bolton.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gene was scary in this vid.

What a monstrous drum sound.

Again- as I guy who lost interest in all things KISS by Unmasked and regained it during the KISS convention years (when Unplugged came out), I am ashamed that I didn’t give this record a chance.

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Again- as I guy who lost interest in all things KISS by Unmasked and regained it during the KISS convention years (when Unplugged came out), I am ashamed that I didn’t give this record a chance.
This one was in rotation back then. It was a fave of my old friend Mike.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love it loud was a great tune.

I just have a hard time taking them serious after the Love Gun album. Dynasty was the demise in both losing key members and disco. Though it had some catchy tunes.

Kiss to me will always be Ace and Peter

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
I really like Creatures. There is a KISS tribute act in my hometown (guys painted up like the original four); I have suggested for a Halloween show or something they switch it up and play only Creatures of the Night songs and switch the greasepaint/costumes accordingly. Based on their reaction, I don't think they are going to do it.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was a huge KISS fan growing up and this was by far my favorite album of theirs. Eric Carr nailed every one of these tracks. And his sound was monstrous.

R&R Hell is still a fave track of mine, and whenever I sit down to play I still always play through it once.

I know I'm a broken record on the forum about this, but Eric Carr was supremely underrated. great groove, great feel, and from all I've read, a really decent, loving guy. Not enough of those in the world.

Dumpy and Murat, this was a great idea for a thread.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was a huge KISS fan growing up and this was by far my favorite album of theirs. Eric Carr nailed every one of these tracks. And his sound was monstrous.

R&R Hell is still a fave track of mine, and whenever I sit down to play I still always play through it once.

I know I'm a broken record on the forum about this, but Eric Carr was supremely underrated. great groove, great feel, and from all I've read, a really decent, loving guy. Not enough of those in the world.

Dumpy and Murat, this was a great idea for a thread.
I appreciate this! My love for Creatures grows BY THE DAY!!!!

brianb

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m a huge KISS fan, always have been and still am. I had just about given up on them too but I’ll never forget my Mom taking me to the record store the day Creatures came out so I could grab the cassette. As soon as we got back in the car I opened it, popped it in the stereo, and cranked it up. As soon as I heard Eric's opening drum fill I knew my band was back. What a great album. I wore that thing out and I still listen to it all the time. Eric was a fantastic drummer and an even cooler guy. I was fortunate enough to meet him and got to spend some time talking with him. He was such a great guy. He gave me some sticks, signed my Ludwig poster, and made me promise to start wearing ear plugs which I did and have continued to do since we had the talk. I wish I could tell him thanks for helping me save my hearing. He was taken way too early.