KISS: Friday Five Fer: Alive!

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
snappy that's the first album I ever bought with my own money. I say it that way because I did have access to rock albums my older sisters had, but when I was in 7th grade (late 70's) Kiss really was speaking to me. When I heard "Rock and Roll all Nite" on the radio I just knew I had to own that album and be the drummer in a rock band. Buying that album and playing to it with headphones was how I learned the basics of playing a set. My first band formed in 8th grade because a few friends and I were talking about that album in school, and we decided to form a band. We didn't even know if each other could play, but we got together and it worked. We made it all the way until we graduated high school without breaking up, still playing some Kiss tunes along the way. And Cheap Trick, Led Zep, Aerosmith, AC/DC, etc., but that Kiss Album started it for me. I still have it.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same here, one of my first albums. Still have it somewhere, double album.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Had that album not come out, KISS would’ve NEVER been the juggernaut they were. The studio versions of those songs were so tame compared to the live shows. All three of the first KISS Alive albums were great in their own way, but the first WAS the best. Alive 3 was actually pretty cool as it was a bridge from the originals to the (then) modern KISS with probably their BEST line up (even though I always wanted the original band to get back together).

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
On another thread, a member yesterday wrote the following:

The main catalyst for Kiss’ popularity had nothing to do with their music. It was Marketing! Ace lived in Yonkers NY and used to tell people ‘they sucked’. They knew it. What got the kids attention and in turn dollars was all about the status of having them on Notebooks, Lunch Boxes, Book Covers, Milk Thermos, tattoos on and on. Kiss under Gene and Paul were the greatest marketers in the world in the seventies. That said, Peter Criss was adequate at best.

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd wager more than a few of us dressed up as a KISS member at one point for Halloween