Kit advice: ELectronic drum kit

masterofnothing

Reaction score
Hello forum

Apologies for what is probably a constantly posted question. I've literally just started to play the drums. It's obvious I need my own kit to progress. I'm looking at getting an electronic drum kit (more neighbour friendly), and would appreciate any advice anyone could give.

I'd look to get a mid range kit (sub £1000) rather than an entry kit (sub £500) - something that has more legs in it.

I've looked at Roland (seem well regarded), Yamaha (regarded as overpriced by some), Alesis (specifically the Command Mesh or Crimson II) and Carlsboro (look fine to a novice like me, but panned by some as "poor quality"). I've even seem some by Fame (badged by Simon Phillips) - they look pretty good to a novice like me...but I can't identify a manufacturer website and reviews seem thin on the ground.

Any real world insights any one could give me above and beyond the marketing would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance!

electrodrummer

Reaction score
Yes - this is posted here and on other forums every day!

So

Same response.

Yamaha or Roland if you want it to last [1]
you have your points backwards - Roland is over priced (Apple style with same fervour of fans) Yamaha is well regarded
Alesis is OK if you are handy with a soldering iron. Fame / Carlsboro etc - run away (all badged Medili rubbish with dodgy "suppprt" - hence you can't find anything and there's no real reviews)

SO YOU need to try some pads. Silicone, various mesh, various rubber compound.

Have you tried anything?

• Buy 2nd hand for more for your money.
  • Avoid proprietary cables snakes (odd-numbered Rolands)
  • Look for MIDI IN for expansion if possible.

(cue the TD17 screams from TD17 owners)

[1] I have everything from everyone,no axe to grind.

Stickclick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you are just starting out then it doesn't matter much what drum kit you use. Just buy something used for less than USA $ 500. Roland, Alesis, Yamaha are all good brands. I say it doesn't matter much what kit you get because you have a LOT to learn. About three years from now you will be looking to buy another drum kit, and you'll know a lot more about drums by then. The best thing you can do at this point is get a pair of drum sticks and a practice pad, start learning some rudiments, keeping steady time and time signatures. Because 10 years later, you will likely still be using that drum pad.

tripp2k

Reaction score
@masterofnothing

For about ~15-20 years I played nothing but Roland V-Drums, TD-8 to TD-12 to TD-20. I've heard the sounds of newer generations of TD modules and would still today buy a used, perfect condition TD-20X and either used pads or triggers over the over priced, underperforming modules Roland has put out over the years. Except for my original TD-8 based V-Custom kit, I've always bought used and never had a problem...buy from reputable sellers. With the economy the way it is, it should be a buyers market.

You do you but that's what I would do. I also would trigger software like Toontrack for better sounds which may be an option for you over time. There is a company out there (Vex) that has tweaked the module sounds a bit but I would suggest that those only slightly improve the module sounds and wouldn't go down that rabbithole. There's plenty of tweaking you can do yourself to get closer to what you want to hear and sounds decent in a mix with the rest of a band.

Good luck and have fun!

jazzerone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Buying edrums is like buying a boat or a motorcycle --- no matter how big your first one, no matter how much money you spend on it, in 6 months you're going to want something bigger, better, faster. So, 3 rules...

Rule #1: Buy used. New edrums lose 50% of their value 15 minutes after they arrive on your doorstep.

Rule #2: Buy the most you can afford. Don't spend $500 if you have $1000, because...

Rule #3: Be prepared to sell and replace your edrums several times, losing money each time you do. The higher you start out, the fewer times you'll have to sell off and re-purchase, the less money you'll spend over the long run. There's a reason there's so many used edrum kits, modules and piece parts out there... people selling off gear so they can buy better gear.

This advice brought to you by a long time edrum player, based on first hand experience.

TheJay

Reaction score
Good advice above, what did you decide to do?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Your money with go much farther used. I just got this Yamaha DTX720K for almost half of Street price. I bought it here on DFO. Really happy with it. I’ve had many ekits (all Rolands) and the Yamahas are there equal IMHO. Even the wife approves!

EDA4524C-01E8-4695-BB06-CB7E615A23EF.jpeg

5F2834C5-B9E5-47F1-89EB-C7F27529FA1B.jpeg

893BB07A-4B0D-4144-B3FD-FA25735189B6.jpeg

Latest posts