header.nohb.html

Kit choices...Yamaha, Ludwig, DW

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Curious to get your thoughts on getting a new kit for non jazz settings (pop, r&b, blues, and so on).

I've narrowed it down to either sticking with Yamaha (and getting that extra tom or two), or maybe going Ludwig or DW. One of these 3 for sure. Specifically maple series, or perhaps even keystone series if the Ludwig path. I already possess some vintage Ludwig and Gretsch, as reference...and tend to have an affinity for Luddy snares in general.

Let's discuss. We all know these all are great drums, but let me hear your thoughts.

jbonzo1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with any of those brands.
I have owned all three, currently have DW Collectors, Gretsch Customs and five Ludwig sets. I sold my Recording Customs, which I regret. The easiest route would be adding drums to the Yammies but I love that new drum smell!

Slippy

a.k.a "slow feet"
Reaction score
i am in the same boat as you AtlantaDrumGuy. I have owned the DW's and can say they are super easy to tune and are awsome to say the least. I want to ry something new. About every 2-3 years i switch my set to something new, oh the choices. Im about 90% sure im going with the Tama StarClassic in the bubinga wood, i played them last night at GC and they are sweeeeeet.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
And I'm all about getting used when I can! I haven't had the Yanaha MCAs but a few months and found them for a great deal. I'd probably just add a floor tom. No doubt they look and sound great. May very well go with that. I'm not a full timer so I don't need to worry about one brand. Although I tend to like to stick with only a few at most. With my kind of recent venture into vintage land with Luddy and Gretsch, I was kind of thinking of staying brand consistent, but I suppose it's not THAT important in my situation. But it's always nice hearing experiences of others.

R

RickP

I own a Ludwig Legacy Classic, and have owned DW Collector's and Jazz series and Yamaha Recording Customs and here is my take on your choices.

Ludwig Legacy Classic - well made, great sounding drums, not exactly vintage sounding but in the ball park. Very full, resonant sounding drums , they don't have as strong an attack as the Classic Maples and their volume level is lower than the Classic maples.So you just mic them, no big deal.The toms and and bass drums and snares are all excellent sounding, no weak link in the bunch.Ludwig has really stepped it up with the finish options for the legacy Classic in the last couple years. I am sure you can find something you will like.

DW - I like but don't love the Collector's series drums - they prefer to be tuned lower and that is how they are designed.- I much prefer the Jazz series or Classics series. The Jazz series are probably the closest thing to a Gretsch USA Custom made by any other manufacturer. The Classic series are not the loudest drums, but definitely have a vintage vibe and are very resonant.

Yamaha - Every Yamaha drum I have seen has excellent quality, I do find that they sound very sterile across all their lines.I personally do not mind this as they are consistent and you will know what you are getting. A Recording Custom in Australia is going to sound like a Recording Custom in England. The Recording Custom bass drums are their only weak link. They just don't seem to have the bottom end.
The original Maple Customs IMHO were the best drums Yamaha have ever made. Fantastic resonance and quality.hard to find though. I am not as big a fan of the Maple Custom Absolute series. The Phoenix sound nice but not for the kind of money they are asking for.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Or... you could save yourself some cash and get a set of Classic Maples. I haven't heard 'em side by side with the Legacies, but I do know that they sound very good and can be had for pretty cheap. I think that perhaps all they don't have is the bragging rights that the Legacies (and some other really expensive brands/lines) have.

MustangMick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Do check out the new Yamaha Club Customs, nicer sounding in my opinion than any of their Absolute range of drums.

Mick

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Do check out the new Yamaha Club Customs, nicer sounding in my opinion than any of their Absolute range of drums.

Mick
I really like the Club Customs as well. but, any of those choice will do well. I've owned them all, two currently (DW and my Legacy).

Riouel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i would say DW collector and Pork Pie Maple
one of those will be my next set
but for free i can take a wesbury :drunken:

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Probably the only thing keeping from vintage only is wanting something reliable and working, and the ability to order extra drums, parts...

Back to original points, I've heard some folks make a close comparison between Yanaha MCA and Gretsch USA shells. Not sure how true that is, but the Yammies still seem to have a jazzy vibe. Elvin and Roy used em!

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sell all your kits and buy a craviotto! Best decision I ever made. Mine are unbelievable. :)

smythe5

Reaction score
My very favorite drums for playing rock, blues, funk, pop, (or anything else), would be a vintage set of Ludwigs. In my opinion, new Ludwigs don't have anywhere near the same warmth and mojo. You can find a used Luddy kit from the 60's and 70's for not too much $$. For jazz, I prefer Gretsch, but I have a 60's set of Ludwigs that actually sound beautiful in a jazz setting as well. Played them for 15 years before finally switching to Gretsch. The old Ludwigs arent as resonant or responsive as Gretsch, but are absolutely unbeatable in warmth and fatness. All those great rock and blues drummers didn't mess around when it came to their dedication to good old ludwigs!

Shuggadugga

Reaction score
Sell all your kits and buy a craviotto! Best decision I ever made. Mine are unbelievable. :)

If I ever bought a Craviotto kit I would be too afraid to play it. Hell, I'd avoid going near it.

Their kits are always good looking. They sound amazing too. Just more proof that you almost always get what you pay for.

227oldstroke

Reaction score
What a fun thread! Always a kick to contemplate new equipment aquisition.... My suggestion is to play what sounds and feels good for your style of playing. I don't currently play any of the brands mentioned here (except Pork Pie,)but they're all good, IMHO. Play what you like = like what you play.