Kit facing a wall or open room?

redbeard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've noticed in several pics that many of you have your drum kits up against and facing a wall. Is this simply for space saving purposes? Also, does it affect the overall sound?

Stickclick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When I jam with other musicians then I want to look at them. So I face the center of the room.

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got back to back kits - one facing a wall and the other facing into the room. I can play either kit by rotating the throne.
I get many more reflections from the set facing the wall - especially the bass drum and the left side ride and hats.
Slightly unnatural or enhanced sounding because there's no real sound absorption.

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Timely question. I have a small studio as well, about 8' x 10', one door in one of the smaller walls. I originally set up the kit with my back against the back wall, facing into the middle of the room so I could see other folks if/when I had them over. Covid brought that to an end, so at some point I turned the kit around with the bass drum about 1' away from the back wall. This opened up the room which was great, I also added a keyboard and amp so it made it real nice and easy to pivot on the throne between them. But I also noticed that my bass drum started sounding poorly, somewhat flabby, no matter how I turned it. It occurred to me recently that this was the issue. I had to empty the room out for other reasons, so before loading everything back in I set up bass drum/snare/hi hats and moved them all around the room, trying different spots and angles. Room positioning made a HUGE difference on how I heard the bass drum. Best I've found is unfortunately facing out into the room, best if about 2/3rds of the length is in front of the bass drum. I wish it werent the case and Im not sure yet what a difference it makes to the mics, but just for my own listening / feedback from the kit I don't think I can go back.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering how space is saved facing a wall? If I were to turn my kit around to face the wall, it would still take up the same rectangular space. Am I missing something?

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering how space is saved facing a wall? If I were to turn my kit around to face the wall, it would still take up the same rectangular space. Am I missing something?
The space where you sit (and potentially, space needed to get "into" the drumset) is dead space if your kit is against the wall but facing the room.
If your kit is against the wall and facing the wall, there's no worry about getting into the kit, and the space where you sit is available space, except for when you're actively playing the drums.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have to face a wall, hang a wall mount TV and run a fan loop.

:p