Kit Pricing Question

MasterBlaster

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Without going into details, and from just looking at the pic, what price would you put on this PDP kit? Not a scratch, most of the hardware is brand-new... just the shell kit was $1200. Everything in the picture is included. Nothing is top of the line, but nothing is bottom, either.
68530085_693927264351543_8547467200917667840_n.jpg
I'm thinking 1500 is cool? Or am I dreaming?

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I see an AAX in there. If those cymbals are not ZBT or Sabian B8's or some other kind of budget thing, there's quite a bit of money in them alone. Maybe $400 for the drums. A few hundred for all the hardware. Maybe up to a grand (maybe over?) on the cymbals. Hard to say the true value. But $1500 is, at worst, a very fair price. :) And that's me being a cheapskate.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
(400$lol) Come on you got a lot of money there. 1st of take picture from the front no one wants to see heads. Cymbals list separately. Make a list put it here.
Gonna list the double pedal separately. Yes we all dream of one-shot everything- sales It could happen. And your estimate sounds reasonable, Cripes the seat looks almost a couple hundred bucks lol.

Last edited:

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh man. I misread it. I thought you were buying! I'd part that baby out and make all the money I could. $1500 is way too cheap. Lol. I also don't know what PDP drums they are.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Too much miscellaneous stuff to be of interest to most. Sell cymbals and hardware separately. Also, not everyone wants a large kit; you might be better off selling as a 5 piece with the smallest and largest toms going separately. For a realistic selling price, figure 35% of list price when you bought it. Good luck.

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
I'd agree you're far better off selling cymbals off individually apart from the drums. If you're in a big metro area that makes a big difference. Out here in the sticks, selling those would be very tough, just aren't many people with money who play the drums and don't already have drums! I'd try and sell the drums locally and ship the cymbals.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Without going into details, and from just looking at the pic, what price would you put on this PDP kit? Not a scratch, most of the hardware is brand-new... just the shell kit was $1200. Everything in the picture is included. Nothing is top of the line, but nothing is bottom, either. View attachment 410867I'm thinking 1500 is cool? Or am I dreaming?
The price is "cool," (if those are top-end cymbals and not B8s) but if the Louisiana market is anything like the central Arkansas market, I doubt that it will ever come close to selling for that price. I'm agreed with the others - sell the kit separately from the cymbals. Once you approach the $1000 mark (outside of large markets; maybe even there), your audience of potential buyers shrinks considerably. Keep in mind, too, that we are in a "buyer's market" across the nation when it comes to musical instruments. The market is flooded with very nice gear at clearance prices. RIDDIM, above, says to ask 65% of your purchase price, and I agree. What I'm seeing is that most used drums are selling for closer to 50% of purchase price. But I wouldn't start off that low.

But who knows? Don't let us discourage you. Maybe there is a buyer out there (better yet, a church) that has been pining over a fine kit like this and is willing to go for $1500. You owe it to yourself to try. List it at $1500 and see what happens. That's exactly what I would do.

GeeDeeEmm

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just a thought...

Unless I missed it, you don't say why you are selling?

We all have our reasons for why we part with stuff. Sometimes we are forced to by life events (that medical bill or car repair come to mind, or oerhaps bail money for 'that' brother in law...lol). But other times we may have a hankering just for something new or different...

If you have to sell, try not to get hurt too bad in the process. As suggested, if you can afford to take a little time and part the stuff out-do so. No need to take an unnecesssry loss in the process.

However, if this is a sale to offset something new or different-make sure you have weighed out the gain and the loss, and are prepared to take the hit.

You don't want to find out that you took a loss on a beautiful set that met your needs only to get a "dream kit" that lets you down in the end. Now if you are going from a PDP kit to say a DW kit (moving up), that's cool, but it may not be as "better" as you may think sound-wise. And, as someone already said it is a buyers market so you only get half, if that, of your investment back-no matter how good the condition is.

I say this because I go through a phase where I want to sell my MIJ Tama Starclassic Performers (birch in excellent basment queen condition), only to realize they would only fetch perhaps....maybe....if I'm lucky...after shipping and all the hassle...$650. Less than half what I have into them. The question becomes-what will it cost me to replace them, and will the replacement *really* sound or behave any better...or different enough to justify it?

Anyway...this was supposed to be a relatively simple comment that grew into a book....

Apologies...

Last edited:

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One thing I will say, as I sell a lot of cymbals (don't we all?). Cymbals, if you're willing to ship, generally sell for 60% of retail, even in like-new condition. You will see a bazillion ads with people asking for $50-$100 off new. Those are likely going to be For Sale for a long time. If you want to move them, price them to sell at 60% retail.

I wish you were near me!

MasterBlaster

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm considering selling it because I have stage IV terminal cancer and I just don't have the energy to play for more than 5 minutes at a time. I don't have to sell them... and I just may not.

Thanks for all the replies, fellas!

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
So sorry to hear that. If the drums continue to bring you joy at all by all means stick with them. If you're selling locally, I'll tell you first-hand it can be a real pain in the neck with the tire kickers and all.
Take care.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm considering selling it because I have stage IV terminal cancer and I just don't have the energy to play for more than 5 minutes at a time. I don't have to sell them... and I just may not.

Thanks for all the replies, fellas!
Not even going to pretend to know the right way to respond to that.

It sucks, and wish you the "best" in any possible way-including moving your kit if and when you decide to go that direction.

I bave often thought that if I were in a similar situation the best thing for my family would be for me to divest myself of all my gear before hand so they wouldn't have to deal with it....

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
1) heirloom 2) Your figure was correct in your first post -yes try selling locally as one lot. Kit Kat and caboodle. Good luck my friend.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm very sorry about your medical issues. I wish you luck on the sale.