Kit shipping question....

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
So I've got more drums than I need. I put a kit up for sale on Reverb w/what I thought was a heavy shipping price...and it sold...now I think I might not have asked enough ($150).

Worse...the 22X16 is in a case (Gator?) that's oversized...and I sold it with cases. May look at Greyhound...oops.

dtk

Old Dog

Reaction score
They always charge John Q. Public a lot for shipping. Drum set shipping average cost is around 150-200 depending on distance. The cases make it difficult. I was trying to work out a deal with a guy selling a Catalina on Ebay. But he wanted to ship in the cases for safety and protection. But it was costing over $200 to ship and the bass was an 18". I don't know if there is a "cheap" way to ship a drum set. Good luck.

Reactions: dtk

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Oversize packaged ship by "designated weight" - meaning that once they reach a certain size (different with each shipper), the cost is the same up to about 75 lbs. Nesting is one way to save money and not worry about the weight.

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
The only thing I would say is that when you give a shipping estimate its a good idea to figure out what would be close to the maximum amount you will be paying and put that as the estimate.

Also if there are cases then obviously one needs to figure the dimensions of each box (case) then go from there. Other possible solutions include nesting the cases and nesting the drums. That results in fewer boxes. Note that with a case, some companies allow shipping the case without cardboard as the "box" although it may require taping it shut. If you do use cardboard it can be put almost directly outside the case, packing material can go between the drum and the inside of the case.

It's similar to carpentry and sewing, measure twice and cut once. These types of mistakes I chock off to learning experiences. If you feel like it you could email the buyer and let them know, or better yet simply state a ballpark estimate in the description and ask the buyer to get an estimate before the total's tallied.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m sure I scare off a lot of potential buyers with my shipping estimates when it comes to larger items like full kits, but I’ve been forced to take a bath on shipping a few too many times. And the hassle of having to lug huge boxes to the post office to get accurate quotes just isn’t worth it, especially since half the time the interested party then balks at the price anyway.

So now I just post what seems like an absurdly high estimate (worst case scenario/as if every package were headed to the farthest possible location and weighed 100 lbs.) and just include a note that says “if shipping comes out less than the estimated price, I’ll refund you the difference.”

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They all jacked prices up 1st of the year. I shipped a 7 piece cross country last year for $120. I shipped a 4 piece last week 1 state over for $270.

PaulD

Reaction score
One thing to consider is that UPS (and I assume Fedex) bill you at a minimum weight for a given size box. So if you ship a drum set, you're going to be way under weight. A box for a bass drum might get charged at 80lbs and only weigh 40, for example. This means nesting the drums as much as possible is by far the best way to go. I recently bought a Tama Starclassic kit and they were all very nicely nested from the factory and I kept all the boxes.

Another thing to consider, which might not work depending on where you and the buyer are, is to investigate shipping through the airlines. I have a small collection of 70s stereo equipment and recently sold one (to help pay for the new set). It was a Pioneer SX-1010 which ended up in a box that was about 18x24x24" and weighed about 60lbs. A guy on Audiokarma had a connection with Alaska Airlines and allowed me to use his account to ship through them and it worked very well. It arrived safely and the price was very reasonable. They also charge the recipient, not the shipper which is nice.

Finally, I'd recommend wrapping the box in pallet wrap (heavy duty cling wrap).

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
So I've got more drums than I need. I put a kit up for sale on Reverb w/what I thought was a heavy shipping price...and it sold...now I think I might not have asked enough ($150).

Worse...the 22X16 is in a case (Gator?) that's oversized...and I sold it with cases. May look at Greyhound...oops.

dtk
Did you sell the kit with cases for all or just for the bass drum?

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I shipped by Greyhound last year, trying to keep prices down. I did all the packing too. Materials were pricier than expected. Greyhound was decent price wise, much cheaper than UPS or Fedex - but tracking? Forget it. They split the shipment and the only time I was certain of where the items were was when the buyer acknowledged receipt.

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I shipped by Greyhound last year, trying to keep prices down. I did all the packing too. Materials were pricier than expected. Greyhound was decent price wise, much cheaper than UPS or Fedex - but tracking? Forget it. They split the shipment and the only time I was certain of where the items were was when the buyer acknowledged receipt.
Greyhound is also Terminal to Terminal shipping. You drop off, and they pick up at terminal. Cheaper but not always convenient.

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
I shipped a kit to a forum member last year. First time for both of us. Definitely cheaper and I think it worked ok. Definitely something you'd want to run by the buyer (they'll have to go pick it up). As mentioned the tracking is kind of minimal.
How far it's going well make a big difference.
Bass drum cases get expensive to ship even empty.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
for all 3...so nesting may be an issue...I think this deal is gonna fall thru and I'll keep trying for local...ug
Just a thought, but it might be cheaper to nest the drums together and ship them in one box, and then nest the cases and ship them separately. Alternatively, you could put the nested drums inside the bass drum case, then ship just the rack tom case and floor tom case nested together as a second package.

kevinyarger

Reaction score
I just got an email from Reverb about the last drum set I sold and shipped last month. Apparently UPS randomly audited my shipment. Said my box measurements were off by roughly an inch on every dimension which I suppose could have been the case but I either use the measurements given on the box itself or I use a tape measure and usually round my numbers up. The kicker was I stated the box(i shipped the whole kit in one box) 90lbs but their scale said it was 160! I'll admit my weighing method for the kit was not the best way but it's never been off by 70lbs. Luckily UPS only charged me another 8 dollars but I was really worried I was going to get hose and there was no way to really dispute it.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've seen sellers who have way under-estimated shipping charges back out the transaction (Reverb, Ebay, etc.). I really don't have a problem with that. It's only after you've shipped a number of items you get a feeling for how high things can run. One thing you can do is ship via REVERB shipping. They will get you a better rate via UPS, FedEx or USPS and possibly save you $25-$50 on a normal $150-$200 shipping order. Shipping a kit outside a 300-600 mile range really escalates the fees.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just got an email from Reverb about the last drum set I sold and shipped last month. Apparently UPS randomly audited my shipment. Said my box measurements were off by roughly an inch on every dimension which I suppose could have been the case but I either use the measurements given on the box itself or I use a tape measure and usually round my numbers up. The kicker was I stated the box(i shipped the whole kit in one box) 90lbs but their scale said it was 160! I'll admit my weighing method for the kit was not the best way but it's never been off by 70lbs. Luckily UPS only charged me another 8 dollars but I was really worried I was going to get hose and there was no way to really dispute it.
UPS has been getting really picky. I never measured, for instance, an 18 x 18 box's side dimensions... just the height I cut it to.
I started receiving a few charges from UPS for small amounts. In the description I noticed my 18x18 boxes were said to be 19x18.
When I measured the boxes I realized I was shorting an inch...the 18s went over.
I had been charged an overage once or twice by Fedex, but a bunch of times by UPS. I now measure more carefully and don't fudge.
The 90 pounds turning to 160 was likely the dimensional weight if your measurements were off by an inch or two.

On a side note... anyone have a good discount code for UPS. They have EASY, but they had an even better one last year that no longer works.

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hard or soft case? Sorry if I missed it. Don’t sweat it if it’s a hard case you can literally use cardboard like wrapping paper. You might have to surrender to foam over bubble wrap in the case if little room is available. Like others have said nesting and Reverb labels are key. Do not lie on the box size, they use lasers. Just an inch off on an oversized box can generate a bill of $80. Since insurance seems to protect the shipping company and not the seller you can save by dumping that service. Lastly, you can ask the buyer for some help. A kind soul once offered me more knowing how bad I screwed up on a hardware quote.