Kits that made an impression on you in your formative years?

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What kit wowed you as a youngster and lingered in your psyche? So much to the point where you actually want to faithfully replicate it as an adult? This is a kit that has been locked in my imagination since 1978. Alan white's kit from the 1978 tour, a jelly bean kit comprised of Ludwig, North and Roto Tom drums, Zildjian Cymbals, crotales and bell tree.

Attachments

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't see myself actually buying one, but it would be fun to have Bonham's Vistalite kit.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
I picked up a Premier Black Shadow brochure back when I was 15 at my local drum shop. It wasn't until recently that I found the pieces to build one.

Brochure pic that I lusted after.

Kit I put together.

kip

DFO Master
Reaction score
Peart's Rosewood Tama Superstars
Bruford reversed tom kit circa 76 touring w Genesis, mixed Hayman/ludwig/rototoms, and then his Disciplne era Simmons kit
Keith Moon multi layer rows of toms circa 75
Moons Premier natural maple kit from The Who Are You Video
Phil Collins, circa 76 Black Premier kit, and late 70s' Premier Maple kit
Peter Criss Pearl Concert Tom kit from KISS

JohnF

Reaction score
DC5.gif

Dave Clark's red sparkle Rogers kit, and the fact that they often placed him in the front. I was in 6th grade and had just started taking lessons.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Never so much that I got them, but two set ups definitely got into my head and stayed in my imagination for a long time.

Both from the 80s, when I first got into playing:

The big Sonor Signature Bubinga from the catalogue,

And Phil Collins's Gretsch concert toms with Noble & Cooley snare drum and Sabian array. Still have all the dimensions memorized. Later decided his Lamb kit with percussion and various Gretsch, Premier and Fibes pieces was much cooler.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I always thought that Steve Smith of Journey early 80s Sonor kit was pretty incredible.

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The original Yamaha Maple Custom with the gold lugs in "vintage maple." Still one of the sexiest drum sets ever made, if you ask me. (If the opportunity ever arose, I wouldn't say "no" to an MC Absolute, either.)

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Another kit I would want to replicate is Bruford's UK set up... Hayman in natural wood 12 x 8 tom, 14 & 18 Roto Toms and Ludwig in natural wood 22 x 14 bass and 16 x 16 floor, 14 x 6.5 Ludwig super Sensitive. Really loved how those roto toms roared!!

Attachments

jazzerprm

Reaction score
The kit that made a huge impression on me as a youngster was a Yamaha Recording Custom in the classic red. My drum teacher had an old Olympic kit (cheap Premier line) prior to this, with four mounted toms in addition to the usual two up one down. This was the eighties! Sometime in 1983 / 84 he invested in this new kit, 5 piece. It must have cost him a packet. Ill never forget when I did a roll on the toms - I couldnt believe that drums could sound and feel that good! Really opened my eyes and ears to tonal possibilities.

rummy

Reaction score
Jimmy Chamberlin's neon yellow Yamaha kit. So ugly, but so cool.

SlingyFan

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I started playing drums in the mid-90s in school band, and always loved flipping through drum catalogs. I remember lusting after the Pearl Masters Custom Gold kit shown in wine red in the 1997 catalog. My local Mars music had one set up in the same wine red finish and gold hardware that I would always drool over. Never could afford it, and ended up going the American vintage route later on. If a set popped up in bop sizes I wouldn't hesitate.

Attachments

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score
When I was a kid I saw a concert in a huge arena and the drummer had a suitcase for a kick drum. I knew right then and there that was my future.