Knocked over my bassists' jazz bass, now it wont "stay in tune"

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
At a gig the bass was in front of my drum riser, I was moving a cord and didnt know it was under the bass stand.. Bass tipped forward and fell FLAT on the fretboard on a hard carpeted stage.

Ever since, the bassist claims that the thing wont stay in tune. Its a USA fender jazz bass.. so no cheapo tuning machines or bridge/nut etc..

can anyone think of a reason that this would happen, without seeing the bass? it has no visible damage. fell on the strings basically

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
YIKES! I bet you feel pretty lousy about it, I'm sure I would. Is it possible the neck needs to be adjusted? I bet it's something that can be remedied with a tune up.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I know you feel bad about it. But, it seems to me that if the cord was under his bass setup, he put the bass setup on top of it. He would have to feel somewhat part responsible in this,right? Either way, he should get his bass looked at to evaluate what needs to be done to it.

tris66

Reaction score
Some possibilities:

Messed up a tuning peg or two (unlikely.)

Knocked the neck or truss rod so one slipped. Bolt on necks will slip around a bit in their pockets and truss rods nuts can move a bit when bonked. A set up could probably fix it quick.

Strings dented by being slammed into frets. They don't tune up right or sound in tune just like a warped or dented head.

Nothing is wrong... trauma caused psychological state.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ouch! Had similar happen in my basement many years ago, we were young teens. Tony just got a brand spanking new Red mahogany Fender SG I pulled the mic cable under guitar ,slid down sideways hard on the linoleum floor snapped the neck right off at the body connection. Unfortunately No guitar stands back then.
Cost a fortune to replace. He wasn't that good anyways!

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry I dont buy it. Fender Jazz Basses are very well built. I have seen them fall in the past and they were fine. If it were a neck issue of any kind it would more than likely "Fret Out" not keep going out of tune. Tuning peg...No they normally don't bend and if it did the owner would feel it when turning the tuner.

Geostorm98

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you had been horsing around/drunk and dropped it or knocked it over then you'd be liable to pay for any damage. But it was an accident and how were you supposed to know about the cord wrapped under the stand? I would offer to pay for a set up, usually $150, just to demonstrate good will. You're not admitting you did anything wrong. Accidents happen. Good luck, sometimes these things can escalate into a real problem.

Targalx

Reaction score
I've owned a few Fender Jazz Basses. They are built like tanks and have fallen off their guitar stands before without any problems. I would think that it would take a severe drop to do any serious damage. Seems to me that it likely requires a set up. (My guitar guy charges about $50 for bass set up.)

dexplosion

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How well do you two know each other?

Could he/she be fishing for another bass?

I've knocked over my P bass more than I care to admit, and I don't think it's ever gone out of tune.

Targalx

Reaction score
dexplosion said:
I've knocked over my P bass more than I care to admit, and I don't think it's ever gone out of tune.
So true. The Fender basses I have rarely go out of tune. It would take quite a fall to make that happen.

Latest posts