Koide Cymbals...Anyone have questions?

Bronzepie

Reaction score
Hello all. First time posting after lurking for years. I’m a US dealer for Koide Cymbals, a small Japanese cymbal company, and wanted to wade in and hopefully answer any questions you may have about them.

JimmySticks

Reaction score
Welcome aboard!

So I've never heard of these cymbals before, so I guess I'll ask a couple of questions, who is your market? Rock, jazz or both? Do you have a full line, from beginner to pro level? Hand hammered B20's? Are your cymbals more traditional sounding and traditionally made or do you do the whole raw, non lathed super dark/dry stuff, or maybe both? Where can you hear them?

Thanks!

Bronzepie

Reaction score
Thanks JimmySticks and Johnny D.. Koide Cymbals started producing in the late 80’s. They make professional level cymbals. There are a couple lines, mainly B8, currently not available in the US, but at the moment we have five series with two new B20 lines coming soon. Their cymbals are made to suit rock to jazz, hammered formed, spun formed or both depending on model. Koide has patents on some alloys, uses specially made blanks made to his specs sourced in Japan that utilize B8, B20, B21 & B23. No B8 series in the US at this time, but can be ordered. Everything from unlathed to bright in a range of weights, 8” to 22”. Prices are in line with your major producers. Mike Dawson has written a Modern Drummer review of the Brilliant, 10-J, and 703 series which will be published in the July issue. There will be another review for the other series sometime later this year. You can hear some of what’s been reviewed on Mike’s solo album Vol.1 in the last four tracks.

Koide just started being available in the US a little over a year ago. We’ve taken a slow approach stepping into this market which is why you haven’t seen a big marketing push. We did exhibit at NAMM and PASIC last year. Covid squashed attending recently scheduled drum shows. We’re slated to exhibit 2020 PASIC show if it isn’t cancelled.

Soundfiles and video at bronzepie.com or @bronzepiecymbals on IG.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
(must of been thinking of kola bear...) I just hope these Koide aren't printed out from a 3D machine!

Last edited:

Bronzepie

Reaction score
(must of been thinking of kola bear...) I just hope these Koide aren't printed out from a 3D machine!

Bronzepie

Reaction score
JDA, Far from it, I’ve spent many days in Toshio Koide’s shop. No CNC or automated hammering. Whatever machinery used is actually old school equipment. His angle on cymbal making is his alloys and using them to his advantage with the tooling he has.

Reactions: JDA

JimmySticks

Reaction score
JDA, Far from it, I’ve spent many days in Toshio Koide’s shop. No CNC or automated hammering. Whatever machinery used is actually old school equipment. His angle on cymbal making is his alloys and using them to his advantage with the tooling he has.
It sounds like a first class shop.

I've never played B21's or B23's. I've only heard that it's harder to work with. I'll have to give you guys a listen, although there is just so much out there today, it might be tough to get traction.

Bronzepie

Reaction score
It sounds like a first class shop.

I've never played B21's or B23's. I've only heard that it's harder to work with. I'll have to give you guys a listen, although there is just so much out there today, it might be tough to get traction.

Bronzepie

Reaction score
It’s definitely hard to get traction. We’re in no hurry, eventually we’ll get a foothold. Yeah, the B23 in the Brilliant series is pretty amazing. The B21 has some other metals added that create interesting qualities. Softer sounding than B20 actually and a faster decay, with all else being equal.

Bronzepie

Reaction score

Bronzepie

Reaction score
JDA, LOL I thought you were referring to these guys at first..... there is a Koide Bear sorta thing.

• Haha
Reactions: JDA

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks JimmySticks and Johnny D.. Koide Cymbals started producing in the late 80’s. They make professional level cymbals. There are a couple lines, mainly B8, currently not available in the US, but at the moment we have five series with two new B20 lines coming soon. Their cymbals are made to suit rock to jazz, hammered formed, spun formed or both depending on model. Koide has patents on some alloys, uses specially made blanks made to his specs sourced in Japan that utilize B8, B20, B21 & B23. No B8 series in the US at this time, but can be ordered. Everything from unlathed to bright in a range of weights, 8” to 22”. Prices are in line with your major producers. Mike Dawson has written a Modern Drummer review of the Brilliant, 10-J, and 703 series which will be published in the July issue. There will be another review for the other series sometime later this year. You can hear some of what’s been reviewed on Mike’s solo album Vol.1 in the last four tracks.

Koide just started being available in the US a little over a year ago. We’ve taken a slow approach stepping into this market which is why you haven’t seen a big marketing push. We did exhibit at NAMM and PASIC last year. Covid squashed attending recently scheduled drum shows. We’re slated to exhibit 2020 PASIC show if it isn’t cancelled.

Soundfiles and video at bronzepie.com or @bronzepiecymbals on IG.
- When you visit their booth, bring money. They offer great stuff.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
youtube channel

Last edited:

Itsam3rica

Reaction score
I've been using Koide for a bit now, and I absolutely love the voice they add to my sound.

Right now, my setup consists of a mix between the brilliant and Absolute series.
Brilliants (B23) are definitely more accommodating to pop, rock, country, etc... these are a bright, glassy cymbal, with a beautiful shimmer on top of the wash.

Absolutes (B21) work better with Gospel, funk, fusion, etc... these have a more subtle, mid-range tone, with the unique harmonic tone on the backside of the wash.

I have worked with their 10-J's as well (B20), and if you're looking for a more traditional, or buttery sound... this is the series to check out.

All of their cymbals have a more traditional wash to them, making them an easy cymbal to play live. Very little work is needed from the musician.

I tend to use bigger cymbals; so my crash setup is brilliant. The brightness feels like a 16 or 18, but cuts through the mix like a larger cymbal should.

I use 16" Absolute crashes as hats; and they sit well in the mix when mic'd, or un-mic'd.
Ride, China, and Splashes are also Absolute. Their China literally embodies the more Asian tone, thats its name suggests. Ha! But seriously, it has great stick articulation, a fat mid-range, its explosive - but not trashy, and works extremely well in both an orchestral setting, and a modern band setting.

I'll be posting some videos soon, and will share them on here! I was a Paiste guy, until I played these cymbals... and I have to say; they were worth the switch.
20200323_131820.jpg

Itsam3rica

Reaction score
Yikes! Bold statement right there...but hey, I can see you meant it! :D

Thanks for the firsthand review!
Hahaha, never though that was bold. Lol
Times are changing for musicians. It's always been about what the company makes, and letting them decide how you're gonna sound. I started to get out of using mainstream music companies years ago. I love the boutique guys. It feels good, to feel original.

Bronzepie

Reaction score
Hahaha, never though that was bold. Lol
Times are changing for musicians. It's always been about what the company makes, and letting them decide how you're gonna sound. I started to get out of using mainstream music companies years ago. I love the boutique guys. It feels good, to feel original.

I’d say Koide isn’t even so much boutique as is perhaps unique, and just adding some new sounds to the market. It’s always fun getting new gear though! We’re definitely “the new kid on the block” right now. His 703 series might decidedly fall into the boutique realm since it’s his particular B20 alloy and the price, but the other series are really reasonably priced considering it’s a small company, meaning around four employees. They make the cymbals in small batches which means attention is given to each piece to specific specs., so in that regard it’s kinda boutique in a production setting. Nothing is pushed through for quota sake. Piaste is probably the closest comparison for half of the cymbals, with the 10-J, 703 and newer upcoming lines falling more into the Turkish style. The variety in production methods and alloys creates a good spread on styles and sound characteristics.

Thanks for the kind review! Your descriptions are right on.

Latest posts