KRUPA GEAR FOUND!

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Stored in a Manhattan facility since 1973, a large amount of Gene Krupa's drums and gear has been purchased by Charlie Watts.
Much of the items were among the last pieces of gear that Gene ever played in his career.

Some of this historic haul is now for sale: https://www.mcaulaydrums.com/

Interestingly, GK owned and played a 7-line Rogers Dyna-sonic "Disguised" with Slingerland lugs!
Actually he had two Dyna snares, one wood and one metal.

2-gene-krupa-s-dyna-sonic-snare-drum-2000x1500.jpg

Asking price is $25,000 for the Dyna and $65,000 for the Slingerland drumset.

Podcast with all details on the incredible find https://megaphone.link/GS5795998480

Krupa drumsets.jpg

Last edited:

SKSMITH

Reaction score
I saw this on the Slingerland FB page, pretty cool. No way I could afford anything like this!
Steve

gkrk

Reaction score
Stored in a Manhattan facility since 1973, a large amount of Gene Krupa's drums and gear has been purchased by Charlie Watts.
Much of the items were among the last pieces of gear that Gene ever played in his career.

Some of this historic haul is now for sale: https://www.mcaulaydrums.com/

Interestingly, GK owned and played a 7-line Rogers Dyna-sonic "Disguised" with Slingerland lugs!
Actually he had two Dyna snares, one wood and one metal.

View attachment 397616

Asking price is $25,000 for the Dyna and $65,000 for the Slingerland drumset.

Podcast with all details on the incredible find https://megaphone.link/GS5795998480

View attachment 397617
Those spot lights were for GK's drum solos I seem to recall.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Is it me or are the prices quite a bit over the top?
I recall about ten years or so ago, I was bidding on some Krupa stuff ... snare, cymbals, etc. ... and they went for a small fraction of these. I lost the snare ... it went for about 2500.

Last edited:

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Is it me or are the prices quite a bit over the top?
Haha, Seems in line with the exorbitant pricing that Don Bennett places on most of his "celeb owned drums". Considering this is genuine Krupa played gear it could possibly fetch that kind of money but I have my doubts, then again, there was this sale http://donnbennett.com/drums/ringo-starrs-custom-ludwig-abalone-complete-drum-set-authenticated-signed-150000/ Of course RS is among THE most iconic drummers of all time - but so is GK, so you never know what someone is willing to pay for legendary stage-used gear like this. It can always be reduced eventually I suppose.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's Greed!
Nah... Isn't there always an element of selfishness to greed? Extremely taking for oneself at the expense of the needs of others.

But in this case - Nobody NEEDS these drums. Leaving us with simply how much does someone WANT them versus how much Don Bennett wants to make the largest amount of money he can from them. A true "whatever the market will bear" scenario with no other dilemmas or considerations, moral or otherwise to consider.

Now we'll see if there's is any collector that wants them that bad.

Which sure isn't going to be me.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Amazing the incredible gear that still turns up. The 3 pc non matching orhpan style kit (for 65k) seems a little odd to me, a top pro that had as many kits as he wanted would be playing a mismatched drum kit, I don't get that.
And how about a drum key for 600!
GLWS

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Amazing the incredible gear that still turns up. The 3 pc non matching orhpan style kit (for 65k) seems a little odd to me, a top pro that had as many kits as he wanted would be playing a mismatched drum kit, I don't get that.
And how about a drum key for 600!
GLWS
agree, can't see GK sitting behind that mess...nor playing a parade drum, even in his basement! ....just sayin'
(and silly prices IMO)

Last edited:

Mendozart

Jenkins-Martin rep
Reaction score
These items were displayed at the Chicago show this past weekend, very cool!

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Nobody NEEDS these drums. Leaving us with simply how much does someone WANT them versus how much Don Bennett wants to make...
I agree, Crigg.
And just to clarify, Don Bennett isn't the seller - in this case it's a fella named Mcaulay who evidently acquired this estate collection in conjunction with "his boss" Charlie Watts last year.
can't see GK sitting behind that mess...nor playing a parade drum, even in his basement!
There are a couple vids on the Mcaulay site (linked above) which show GK playing the Slingerland set live and also in his basement and according to the podcast the parade drum(s) were gifted to Gene. One was permanently set up at home though he seldom played them.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
If they sound this good they might be worth it! I lv large drums for jazz, you'd never get that thunder from an 18

Think this was his last performance although I could be wrong, he was dead 6 months after this show.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
we can appreciate the drums without talking about the prices or buying them..
Think those Slingerland lugs tricked anyone? ha.
pretty hard to disguise the dyna

reminds me that story in the gretsch book don lamond (or charlie persip or both) using rogers wood shell snare with Gretsch lugs.
Company men all! Gene included.

And the rail tethered to the set- o; hip mod huh.
too bad weren't more exotic cymbals hiding in the lot; no 26's, 24s, no brooklyn old ks, snuck in there, ..

I think that snare with the sling lugs would be the piece out of of the whole lot worth hmm 10K$
you would could be the star of drums shows magazine articles for at least 10 years minimum. worth 10K
to the right guy (currotto, Bun E, or someone; maybe.

also. nice zildjian cowbell

always liked this sitting-in picture ; )

(good) drums are (good) drums.

Last edited:

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What a find! Love the Dyna. At first I thought it could be a stock Dyna that had Slingerland lugs installed. Upon closer inspection, I noticed no Dyna badge and no holes drilled for the badge mounts. Hmmmm.

Last edited: