KRUPA GEAR FOUND!

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
we can appreciate the drums without talking about the prices or buying them..
I sincerely apologize.
I was genuinely excited at the prospect of another opportunity to acquire a Krupa drum ... having lost out on the last chance.
Then I checked the price structure.
I should have kept my disappointment to myself.
Krupa was one of my hero’s in my formative years and it just sort of spilled out here.
Didn’t mean to head this down a negative path.
And you are spot on!
We should all be discussing the amazing find ... especially the Dynas ... and what that means to drumming history.
Pretty freekin cool.

I have faith there will be another opportunity to snag a Piece of Krupa gear. Maybe next time.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I sincerely apologize.
I was genuinely excited at the prospect of another opportunity to acquire a Krupa drum ... having lost out on the last chance.
Then I checked the price structure.
I should have kept my disappointment to myself.
Krupa was one of my hero’s in my formative years and it just sort of spilled out here.
Didn’t mean to head this down a negative path.
And you are spot on!
We should all be discussing the amazing find ... especially the Dynas ... and what that means to drumming history.
Pretty freekin cool.

I have faith there will be another opportunity to snag a Piece of Krupa gear. Maybe next time.
So... would you go 10K on the snare drum ;) ?
Think 10K is realistic ?.

lcondo123

Reaction score
What a find! Love the Dyna. At first I thought it could be a stock Dyna that had Slingerland lugs installed. Upon closer inspection, I noticed no Dyna badge and no holes drilled for the badge mounts. Hmmmm.
What I read was that Joe Thompson over at Rogers had these drums built for Gene. GK wanted them to be disguised as Slingerland, so JT drilled the shells for Slingerland lugs and never installed the Dyna badges intentionally. Cool stuff!

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
I would like to see the inside of that drum, to see if it had been first drilled for the original b&b lugs. Or maybe it was only drilled for the Slingy lugs.....It would have had to have been drilled before being plated, and then sent to the plating shop.

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What I read was that Joe Thompson over at Rogers had these drums built for Gene. GK wanted them to be disguised as Slingerland, so JT drilled the shells for Slingerland lugs and never installed the Dyna badges intentionally. Cool stuff!
Thanks Luke. I also noticed that there was no script badge. While there wasn’t a shot of that panel specifically, there was an interior shot that showed what I believe was that panel, and no sign of the script badge.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Again, I recommend listening to the podcast for all the finer (and fascinating) details.
(Podcast is on the seller's website I linked in the first thread post)

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Any old set of Slingerlands will sound the same as those. I can appreciate the provenance, but at those prices, some rich collector who never plays gigs will buy them. They'll sit in a music room in his mansion.
They really ought to be in a museum somewhere, for the public to appreciate.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I lost out last time when it hit 2500 ...
So 10k ... ... ... I'd ask the wife, but then I'd be sleeping on your sofa.
Just as long as you don't each get half the drum

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I think some of GK's other drumsets are, or were, on display at one of the USA music museums weren't they?
Was it the PASIC center who had them?

EDIT: It was the Smithsonian who had his Goodman set as of march 2011

Last edited:

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't remember Gene as any sort of a gear head or one who tweaked a snare or bass beyond what he happened to have on hand or what Slingerland supplied...sure he may have had a stash in the basement, but to him, I suspect it was just that, gear/leftovers....isn't there a GK kit in the Smithsonian?

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Gene didn't give a crap about gear. He had a lifetime endorsement with Slingerland. They took good care of him. I saw him at a clinic when I was in high school, and somebody asked him why he endorsed Slingerland. He didn't want to get into gear talk. He just said, "They're good drums."
I saw Joe Morello at a clinic in the 1980's, and somebody asked him about endorsing Ludwig drums. He said, "They're adequate."
You get the idea? I get really tired of gear heads. Let's get on with playing some music.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like looking at the stick marks on the heads..

if only those stick marks could.. speak.
Imagine the concert they were made at.

Last edited:

Castnblast

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Any old set of Slingerlands will sound the same as those. I can appreciate the provenance, but at those prices, some rich collector who never plays gigs will buy them. They'll sit in a music room in his mansion.
They really should be in a place where they can be appreciated by al. Unfortunately, that is unlikely.
Cool find tho... GK drums, if I only had Charlie’s $...

sazemanek1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are they kidding?

1930's Stage Screw. Would have been used to stop the bass drum from sliding away from Gene's big beats! $2,000

And some of the other prices? Really?

Wow, somebody really has to be drinking the Kool-Aid to pay that for a screw Gene probably never touched, and a stagehand screwed into the ground.

They need a reality check.

SAZ

Latest posts