header.nohb.html

Krupa: Rockstar!

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He changed drumming forever. Don't forget he grew up in the '20s and some of what may seem a tad corny today had was new back then and much of it originated by him. I had the pleasure of meeting him when I was twenty...one of the high points of my life and he couldn't have been nicer. Thanks for the post bigbonzo.

JohnnyVibesAZ

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's one of my favorite photos of Geeno!

1654145311399.png

Mayan

Reaction score
I have seen the Gene Krupa story enough times to think that this particular film may have been studied by Sal Mineo. He really did a great job of emulating GK, noticeably his mouth/lip movement as he plays.

Krupa really was the first drumming “rockstar” I think, he did pave the way for the future.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm a Krupa fan but I found this Buddy clip. Definitely sounds like John Bonahm borrowed some of Buddy's tricks too.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a Krupa fan but I found this Buddy clip. Definitely sounds like John Bonahm borrowed some of Buddy's tricks too.

In high school a freind of mine saw Buddy on the Tonight Show and called to tell me that Buddy stole a lot of Bonham licks ..

He was dead serious ……

Stretsch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

rayboomboom

Reaction score

There were a lot of drummers who took the triplet thing to an extreme and played almost entire drum solos off of that. But, probably the only thing they had the ability to copy from Buddy - HA!

rayboomboom

Reaction score
Was just reading how Bonham thought he was a god - what playing!

This is just so great!! Yeah its seems kinda corny, but he was inventing. I love the double strokes he plays on the floor tom. I saw this video a little while back and noticed it wasn't just single strokes. Gives it that little lilt and swing in the feel.