Krupa set on Ebay ?

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slingerland set that appears to have belonged to Gene Krupa is listed on ebay. Looks right. I don't have that kind of extra cash but if it is legit it would be a great set to own.

Anyone know any history on this? I'm guessing it should be in the recent book on Gene's equipment. I'll have to look it up when I get home.

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This kit as come up a few times.

Redfern

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted about this set a few months ago here on DFO. It’s an odd combination of sorts. Lots of skepticism surround it and the seller changes the ad to say it was Krupa’s and then it’s attributed to him, or it’s of the Krupa era…no definitive answer as of yet.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect this fails the Brooks Tegler GK Book authenticity test

I have the book but not with me at work right now (LOL). I guess I do recall seeing this thrashed out before on DFO. Just happened to run across it on ebay and thought it might merit discussion.

The provenance within the listing seems to consist of "of course it was Krupa's, look at the head". The head could be legit or a fake but, even if real doesn't necessarily make the rest of the set authentic.

Redfern

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This was Brooks response in the previous post: per @Rich K. ;

[IMG alt="Rich K."]https://www.drumforum.org/data/avatars/m/0/136.jpg?1539346722[/IMG]

Rich K.

DFO Star​

I asked Brooks and he said it would be okay to post his reply here.

"An absurdly long story here, Rich. Has actually been going on long enough that I include the whole thing in my book! In short, the set is completely bogus but the front head is 'real'. The seller decided to perpetuate the lie instead of following my advice and separating the head from the set. He thinks he can get that kind of money..."
"Have only posted a few short comments when folks have asked. It is a source of irritation because I know who the original perp is (not the current seller. He's just the most recent "victim"!) who has been creating these fakes for four decades now and I have worked hard to shut down all his bogus junk for nearly as long. Between him a couple other liars, it's almost become an unpaid part-time job!"

Commodore

Reaction score
This was Brooks response in the previous post: per @Rich K. ;

[IMG alt="Rich K."]https://www.drumforum.org/data/avatars/m/0/136.jpg?1539346722[/IMG]

Rich K.

DFO Star​

I asked Brooks and he said it would be okay to post his reply here.

"An absurdly long story here, Rich. Has actually been going on long enough that I include the whole thing in my book! In short, the set is completely bogus but the front head is 'real'. The seller decided to perpetuate the lie instead of following my advice and separating the head from the set. He thinks he can get that kind of money..."
"Have only posted a few short comments when folks have asked. It is a source of irritation because I know who the original perp is (not the current seller. He's just the most recent "victim"!) who has been creating these fakes for four decades now and I have worked hard to shut down all his bogus junk for nearly as long. Between him a couple other liars, it's almost become an unpaid part-time job!"
I have a plan..

Let's each message the seller with dumb questions. Not to be mean, for sure. :)

What can be more fun than acting ignorant?

Last edited:

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a plan..

Let's each message the seller. Not to be mean, for sure.

I wrote him with dumb questions. Plain ignorant questions :)

See if it ties him up !

Maybe he'll change his ways?
“Dear seller,

Does this Slingerland drumset include the Illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator that Mr. Krupa was so fond of using?”

;-)

Redfern

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t waste my time on it any longer now that we all know what the real story is with the kit. Far better things to focus on.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
“Dear seller,

Does this Slingerland drumset include the Illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator that Mr. Krupa was so fond of using?”

;-)

1652827186692.gif

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I believe Brooks said all the 'signatures' on the kit are phonies, including the ones on the cymbals. Run Forrest Run.

idrum4fun

DFO Master
Reaction score
I messaged the seller when the set was first posted. Here's my message to him, from December 13, 2021... "
Pretty cool GK1N drum set! The "GK" on the cymbal and signature is really wonderful. That being said, and no disrespect intended, unless you have authenticated provenance, then the value is only a fraction of your opening price. Best of luck with your auction!"

And the seller's reply.... "Thank you!"

When I politely commented on another GK item, his response was that all the items were from the GK estate and no proof was required!

Why are so many sellers so delusional?!!!!

-Mark