KTMP1 multipad and pedal compatibility

marius86

Reaction score
Hello

I recently acquired a KTMP1 multipad from KAT percussion. Now I am looking into adding an external kick trigger and possibly a pedal for opening/closing of hats (the device has inputs for both). KAT has their own pedals designed for this, however not easily available from here I live so I am considering other solutions. I have tried looking around the internet for answers. For the kick input, the manual states that one connects to an external trigger using a 1/4 mono cable. The question is - will ANY kick trigger/pedal with a 1/4 mono cable (ts I assume) work? I contacted KAT directly but the answer I got wasn't exactly helpful. They only answer they gave was that the KAT bass drum trigger where designed for this. As an experiment I tried my Yamaha keyboard sustain pedal plugged into kick input but that didn't work - which possibly is due to that the cable is 1/4 stereo. The same goes for hi hat input.

Marius

electrodrummer

Reaction score
Any kick should work. They're all just piezos. Mono cable. Your sustain pedal won't work as that's a switch, not a trigger.
Any Chinese unbranded / Medeli / Alesis hat controller will probably work. Not a Yamaha or Roland. (You may find your sustain pedal works, as a binary open/close hat controller)

marius86

Reaction score
Great. Thanks! One last thing: So the KAT pad does not support continuous hat control from a pedal I think. But i picked up a Alesis trigger io for dirt cheap on ebay a while ago which been laying around and which supposedly can do that (I was thinking of building a small kit around this before I decided for the KAT instead).

So if I go get a hat controller pedal with continuous control and plugging it into the Alesis io I will have that. Now, say I want to trigger vst drums in my DAW - Will it be possible to trigger hi hat samples with the KAT pad while simultanously control the degree of opening or closing of the same samples with the pedal? (which is then plugged into the Alesis). Yes, I am new to edrums.

Sorry for my ignorance.

Latest posts