header.nohb.html

Lacquer or leave my copper snare

cashmanbashman

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a copper DW snare that had some tarnish and spots where the clear coat was gone. I used a product that took care of the tarnish but the clear coat issues remained. I thought about spot sealing the worn spaces but ended up just stripping all the clear coat.

Now I can’t decide if I want to re lacquer or just go with it as is? I assume I will have to polish it regularly if I just go with it? First few pictures show it when I started stripping it and the last ones are with no clear coat.

10D4F20B-EEDC-44E3-B93E-18551D534584.jpeg
A52E28BF-1BEB-408C-B36E-AFB59CA9A7F5.jpeg
3E4803BB-C457-4B7B-9189-C5C8C1238123.jpeg
570A2544-9B89-451A-8ADB-BE114DC9E3F5.jpeg
1B41514A-FB0E-4D5E-BE27-3F9707E7B4E2.jpeg

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a personal aesthetic choice. I have a Pearl bronze Sensitone (can add a picture later) that has some natural patina that was there when I received it. I probably wouldn't have chosen to let it patina like that, but I don't mind it.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Patina or polish regularly. You’ll drive yourself nuts trying to get it to look good sealed without any patina popping through. DW likely has more resources than you and they couldn’t pull it off

cashmanbashman

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Patina or polish regularly. You’ll drive yourself nuts trying to get it to look good sealed without any patina popping through. DW likely has more resources than you and they couldn’t pull it off
It’s a relatively old snare so I’m surprised it held up like it did. The spots were all from minor surface scuffs or scratches. I bought a sealant that is supposed to be the cat’s meow but I have heard that before and fail. I suppose I could seal it and if it goes sideways just strip it again? It would only cost me more time.

I did use to work for Ford and could get them to spray it for me for nothing. Whatever I settle on I will wonder if the other wasn’t the way to go. I think you are right, I will drive myself nuts!

hsosdrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like drums and cymbals to continue looking brand-new, so if that was my drum I'd have it professionally clear-coated.*

*Assuming that's a 100% copper shell and not an alloy, letting it age naturally will result in a green drum, just like the copper skin on the Statue of Liberty. (In 1886 she started out looking just like @cashmanbashman 's drum.)

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like drums and cymbals to continue looking brand-new, so if that was my drum I'd have it professionally clear-coated.*

*Assuming that's a 100% copper shell and not an alloy, letting it age naturally will result in a green drum, just like the copper skin on the Statue of Liberty. (In 1886 she started out looking just like @cashmanbashman 's drum.)

Verdigris (that green color) will only form in the steady presence of moisture and acid/salt. If you look at old copper plumbing it will turn the same sort of dark brown as a penny unless there is a leak

hsosdrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Verdigris (that green color) will only form in the steady presence of moisture and acid/salt. If you look at old copper plumbing it will turn the same sort of dark brown as a penny unless there is a leak
Fair enough, but green or brown, I'd still have it clear-coated and keep it looking new.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, since were voting, Im going... and I know this will come as a shock since I always seem on the "other" end of what ever is being discussed... I would clear coat it. You've got it looking so nice, keep it that way! Besides, it will have to pass through many, MANY phases of ugly before it uniformly achieves a nice looking natural patina unless you create it artificially. Seal that baby!

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It would probably be better to leave it as is. Clear coating metal and have it turn out looking factory new is pretty difficult. I put this in the “the devil you know” category.

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno...if you could have your buddies at ford coat it for low $ I'd try.
FWIW-I bought a NOS Slingy brass timbales and made it into a snare...no coating...no poloshing...old penny finish isn't bad...

Skeet6

Reaction score
My 6.5" hammered bronze Ludwig has some discoloration/patina under the clear coat in a few spots from being sweated on while it was slogged all over NYC in the 90's and early 2k's. It's still super clean, and in great shape, and I like the look. It's a reminder of what it has been through. If you want it to stay perfect, coat it and leave it in the case!
Mike B

pbldrum

Reaction score
I have a copper DW snare that had some tarnish and spots where the clear coat was gone. I used a product that took care of the tarnish but the clear coat issues remained. I thought about spot sealing the worn spaces but ended up just stripping all the clear coat.

Now I can’t decide if I want to re lacquer or just go with it as is? I assume I will have to polish it regularly if I just go with it? First few pictures show it when I started stripping it and the last ones are with no clear coat.

View attachment 576742 View attachment 576743 View attachment 576744 View attachment 576745 View attachment 576746
What did you use to take off the clear coat? It looks great!