header.nohb.html

Lacquer or leave my copper snare

DavedrumsTX

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a copper DW snare that had some tarnish and spots where the clear coat was gone. I used a product that took care of the tarnish but the clear coat issues remained. I thought about spot sealing the worn spaces but ended up just stripping all the clear coat.

Now I can’t decide if I want to re lacquer or just go with it as is? I assume I will have to polish it regularly if I just go with it? First few pictures show it when I started stripping it and the last ones are with no clear coat.

View attachment 576742 View attachment 576743 View attachment 576744 View attachment 576745 View attachment 576746
I will probably be burned at the stake for heresy, but for fun, I’d consider giving it a tail pipe finish. You cover the drum in carnauba wax. Make sure you don’t leave big chunks that it’s a very thin finish and then take a blow torch and lightly run it over. Experiment on another piece of copper first to get the technique down. It will look awesome.

All right, I’m ready for my execution

Attachments

• DFCA5B0D-7F78-4E0D-B816-C53D131B2B1C.jpeg
    DFCA5B0D-7F78-4E0D-B816-C53D131B2B1C.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 33

JazzDoc

Reaction score
I will probably be burned at the stake for heresy, but for fun, I’d consider giving it a tail pipe finish. You cover the drum in carnauba wax. Make sure you don’t leave big chunks that it’s a very thin finish and then take a blow torch and lightly run it over. Experiment on another piece of copper first to get the technique down. It will look awesome.

This is what I’d do. Great suggestion!

Or else strip what lacquer is on the drum altogether and let it patina itself.
Just my 2 cents.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took a blow torch to a PDP hammered bronze (that was new) and a Ludwig hammered bronze (that somebody did their own home made "raw" finish). Both are interesting. The PDP has a rainbow effect with lighter colors and stayed that way. The Ludwig has more of a darker finish. No clearcoat on either. I didn't know about the wax trick. I'm actually going to redo my PDP this weekend so maybe I will put some wax on it and go to town!

DavedrumsTX

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I took a blow torch to a PDP hammered bronze (that was new) and a Ludwig hammered bronze (that somebody did their own home made "raw" finish). Both are interesting. The PDP has a rainbow effect with lighter colors and stayed that way. The Ludwig has more of a darker finish. No clearcoat on either. I didn't know about the wax trick. I'm actually going to redo my PDP this weekend so maybe I will put some wax on it and go to town!
Please post a picture when you’re done

cashmanbashman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What did you use to take off the clear coat? It looks great!
Nail polish acetone on a magic eraser. I wiped it on a small section and then used a soapy rag to clean it. Then did the same again and it came off. Just worked my way around. It took about an hour is all.

cashmanbashman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I dig the natural patina over time. What would you use to coat it with if you lacquered it?
I used a product called everbrite. It’s flawless. I used the applicator pad they provided. It had lines when I wiped it on but it self leveled as it cured. I’m rather amazed. It was $45 for a small container about a third of a pop can. I have most of it left to.

cashmanbashman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Nonsense, that’s a great finish. I am doing my next one your way.

FlowTom

Reaction score
If you're going to coat it:

1) Surface prep is beyond critical. It's the whole game.
2) Choice of coating is important. I've sprayed a fair amount of metal parts over the years. I use Agateen, an architectural metals lacquer from Agate Lacquer Co. Good stuff.
For small parts I use an air brush, and a touch up gun for bigger areas. The material flows well and is forgiving.
3) Try to avoid coating metal in hot humid conditions. Right now I'm dealing with sultry, muggy weather. I'm not doing much spraying until things cool down and dry out a bit.

cobaltspike

Reaction score
I have a copper DW snare that had some tarnish and spots where the clear coat was gone. I used a product that took care of the tarnish but the clear coat issues remained. I thought about spot sealing the worn spaces but ended up just stripping all the clear coat.

Now I can’t decide if I want to re lacquer or just go with it as is? I assume I will have to polish it regularly if I just go with it? First few pictures show it when I started stripping it and the last ones are with no clear coat.

View attachment 576742 View attachment 576743 View attachment 576744 View attachment 576745 View attachment 576746
As a guy that has had an issue with ludwig surpraphonic chrome flaking off I can tell you that automotive 2 part urethane will outlast laquer any day of the week. Laquer is just a thing from the past that enabled manufacturers a quick way to get a good shine and get the product out the door, they didn't care that it doesn't last. I know there will be an argument from some who THINK that urethane is thicker but when you wet sand and buff it becomes very similar to the thickness of laquer and didn't affect my supra's sound at all and I know this because my other supra sounds exactly the same. If you have a way to spray laquer then you have a way to spray urethane and most places won't sell laquer anymore because of the EPA. Good luck!

geoff7877

Reaction score
Patina vote here. Not the same I know but I have cast brass drum that had a mirror finish on it when I got it and I couldn’t stand it. I knocked the shine down and sprayed it with salt and vinegar. I love how it looks.

Ptrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Did you brush it on or dip it? Liquid form or the powder?
I dipped it in the solution, which was in hot water, and then used a baking soda water compound to stop the process. I actually used a chunk of liver of sulphur I got from a jeweler, and dissolved it into the water. This was around 2006. I used a spray can lacquer from Michael’s art supply after I got the finish where I wanted it.