header.nohb.html

Lacquer or leave my copper snare

JOE COOL

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
im new to this subject but interested with a couple or questions.
when brass, copper , bronze , or aluminum leave the factory they are all clear coated to protect the appearance of the drum?

over time the factory clear coats gradually erode or break down, or do some drummers apply something to the surface that can create finish problems.
what if anything is recommended care for these drums when purchased to extend the appearance and life of the clear coat.

i recently went to look a gretsch 4160 brass with gen 1 lightning i considered purchasing. but the grommet appeared to have been removed and was loose. and the drum didnt have any factory label or appear to have any clear coat. gretsch did make a few of those brass finish 4160 drums they were very rare. they were also not cataloged other then their 1971 catalog cover. and so i suspected this might have been a stripped 4160 chrome over brass. though il never know for sure . i passed on the asking price of $500. not attempting to negotiate because i didnt know if it was the real deal.

Last edited:

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
im new to this subject but interested with a couple or questions.
when brass, copper , bronze , or aluminum leave the factory they are all clear coated to protect the appearance of the drum?

over time the factory clear coats gradually erode or break down, or do some drummers apply something to the surface that can create finish problems.
what if anything is recommended care for these drums when purchased to extend the appearance and life of the clear coat.

i recently went to look a gretsch 4160 brass with gen 1 lightning i considered purchasing. but the grommet appeared to have been removed and was loose. and the drum didnrt appear to have any clear coat although gretsch did make a few of those brass 4160 drums they were very rare. they were also not cataloged. and i suspected this might have been a stripped 4160 chrome over brass.though il never know for sure . i passed on the asking price of $500. not attempting to negotiate because i didnt know if it was the real deal.

Most, if un-plated and polished, will have a clear coat of some sort. I have seen all manners of these metals in both everyday objects and instruments. In many cases, some start to oxidize UNDER the clear coat. Kinda frustrating if you ask me.

cashmanbashman

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arghhhh
I had a nice first coat applied. I decided I should do another coat and from a video I watched used a roller instead of the applicator pad this time. SOAB if it didn’t break down the roller and leave fuzz everywhere. I had to strip it again and start over. I have it where I like it now, here are pictures
E9FEA6A1-0BB2-425F-99AB-BA15B75EB3DB.jpeg
D0AD86DF-A30B-4266-9C65-45DC91C6DB70.jpeg

cashmanbashman

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the new lugs put on and now just need to get the rods and it’s done. Has anyone ever tried the liver of sulfur on a steel drum? I have a Yamaha power V I may try it on if it’s not a waste of time.

D7840F32-8C8A-49DF-A3A5-60D4565BC1CA.jpeg
853411AB-59D6-450D-8542-388AED221B59.jpeg