Large port/no front head

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Everything goes in circles. Concert toms made a return, now some people are into roto-toms. The deep dish snare sound is already commonplace again. We talked about the dead tom sound here.
I suddenly feel a weird fascination with the typical bass drum sound of the late70s/early 80s. Shallower depth, no front head or large port, packing blanket. Coated Ambassador, in most cases. No overly scooped eq. Maybe it's from listening on tiny laptop speakers, (comparable to little transistor radio ones), that I can appreciate this midrange presence. I started out playing on drums like this in the late 80s, then did everything to avoid it for a long time, complete heads, pre-muffled, eq'ed etc.
If anything, an occasion to revisit those recordings and grooves.

a great player with a great groove can sell any sound.

Also great to watch those clinic videos again. The JR one in particular, clear priorities :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ6tzbKsKKk

drumstuff66

Reaction score
I have an old Evans Retro Screen I've actually been thinking about throwing on my bass drum for certain things... Having started playing in the late 70's, I happily admit to a soft spot for those old sounds...

drumstuff66

Reaction score
Circa '87, Boston Beach Club, Faneuil Hall, Boston...The Sonor Phonics are still used at a friend's studio...

1589894236003.png

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not trying to be a noodge, but I never got away from the deep dish snare sound; I still use the drum in my avatar a lot. I also grew tired of how crappy most of the "live", wwwhhhoooosssssshhhy bass drum sounds are. They sit badly in many mixes, so I never strayed far from a "thud". Maybe I found "my sound" in 1981, I dunno. :)

Dan

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can't hang with this. That midrange-y ported bass drum sound reminds me of when I used to stuff my bass drums with every pillow from the house, much to my mom's bewilderment. Having a large ported front head only encouraged me to shove as many in there as I could. I have no idea what I was thinking. But I don't want those memories again. I'll keep my offset small ported hole, thanks.

"Where did all of our pillows go?"
"They're all in my bass drum, Mom!"

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ports haven’t lasted long on my bass drum over the years. While I did like the feel, the sound never jibed with me. Any port made it too dead and slappy.

Then again, I’ve been using a very mildly ported reso for a long time now in the form of the dw (or Evans?) head with the 1/2” punch holes at the edge, spaced apart 6” or so. That head gives me the right balance of controlled decay and a good feel.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Got ya, I use a complete front head normally. Point of this thread is to celebrate that slappy sound where it works with the song and groove to my ear. More Jeff!

Not Jeff, still grooving - with that midrange slap:

Last edited:

Latest posts