Lars Ulrich's Snare Sound on St. Anger is the Best Thing About the Album

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's the greatest metal album of the past 40 years.
Right. Because Rolling Stone magazine knows what it's talking about. I think not.
Anyone, or any entity, who would laud Kanye to any degree is not to be taken seriously. But hey, if you like Metallica, knock yourself out. :wacko:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right. Because Rolling Stone magazine knows what it's talking about. I think not.
Anyone, or any entity, who would laud Kanye to any degree is not to be taken seriously. But hey, if you like Metallica, knock yourself out. :wacko:
I'd like to hear about a better metal album of the past 40 years, dsop. Whattaya got?

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
I thought the snare sound was fine for the sound they were going for. Raw and aggressive. IMO the total failure on that album are James vocals. It’s not just the lyrics being cheesy but his voice sounds outrageously terrible. Like, late night karaoke at a suburban biker bar terrible.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know when personal opinions became something that can be quantified against each other. Like what you like, respect talent, ability and other musician's ability to diversify. I agree...how does this become a competition?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know when personal opinions became something that can be quantified against each other. Like what you like, respect talent, ability and other musician's ability to diversify. I agree...how does this become a competition?
Relax! If you take a breath, you’ll realize I simply said I agree with the widely held belief that Master of Puppets is recognized as the best metal album in decades.
I think these kind of discussions get a little off balance when people who seemingly have no interest in the metal genre weigh in to say “Oh, there’s tons of better metal albums,” which is what prompted me to say “Name one,” because I’d genuinely love to discover more metal albums as well written, performed and produced as that one.

As for when did music become a competition? Do we blame Alan Freed, Dewey Phillips, Wolfman Jack or other DJs who have been deciding the top hits of the day, week or year for more than seven decades. Is it the fault of Dick Clark asking no-nothing kids to decide whether a new record was class or trash? Hell, Billboard has been ranking and rating records for, maybe, 100 years.

If you want to live in a world where music is based solely on the merits, I think you’ll need to move to a planet where the top musicians rise to the top, irrespective of whether they’re ugly, fat, bald or weird looking because that’s not the world we live in, Pollyanna!

Now, any constructive thoughts on great metal albums released since 1980 that aren’t forgotten Scorpions spinoffs?

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think Master Of Puppets is a great album and easily one of the best metal albums of all time.

I don’t even know who produce/engineered/mixed that album but it is genius work.

I can’t listen to it anymore and that is too bad really.

I also think the Cliff Burton’s loss is right up there with the more devastating losses music has suffered.

It is no great riddle how important he was to that band, they were never the same after.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree one of the greatest metal albums all time and you just might have a point about it being hard to top VB .

DSOP , I listened to your suggested better than Metallica list and it’s a stretch calling some of it metal .

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree one of the greatest metal albums all time and you just might have a point about it being hard to top VB .

DSOP , I listened to your suggested better than Metallica list and it’s a stretch calling some of it metal .
Metallica was to those bands what Nirvana was to Warrant.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Relax! If you take a breath, you’ll realize I simply said I agree with the widely held belief that Master of Puppets is recognized as the best metal album in decades.
I think these kind of discussions get a little off balance when people who seemingly have no interest in the metal genre weigh in to say “Oh, there’s tons of better metal albums,” which is what prompted me to say “Name one,” because I’d genuinely love to discover more metal albums as well written, performed and produced as that one.

As for when did music become a competition? Do we blame Alan Freed, Dewey Phillips, Wolfman Jack or other DJs who have been deciding the top hits of the day, week or year for more than seven decades. Is it the fault of Dick Clark asking no-nothing kids to decide whether a new record was class or trash? Hell, Billboard has been ranking and rating records for, maybe, 100 years.

If you want to live in a world where music is based solely on the merits, I think you’ll need to move to a planet where the top musicians rise to the top, irrespective of whether they’re ugly, fat, bald or weird looking because that’s not the world we live in, Pollyanna!

Now, any constructive thoughts on great metal albums released since 1980 that aren’t forgotten Scorpions spinoffs?
Pollyanna? That almost made me laugh. I like the cut of your jib.

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Another great metal album from the last 40 years as far as aggressiveness goes is Vulgar display of power by Pantera. Probably their best record imho.

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Another great metal album from the last 40 years as far as aggressiveness goes is Vulgar display of power by Pantera. Probably their best record imho.
Add dystopia by megadeth as well.