Last in Line

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Love it, what a drummer.

I’d shoveled snow off driveways in the winter to make money then walked to the local Benny’s to get one of the first Walkmans. I would listen to Holy Diver relentlessly while doing my paper route, which in “84” was in the early morning before school!

I was no easy task keeping that tape cover hidden in a strict Catholic Italian family either

Much respect to Vivian Campbell’s guitar work too. As soon as that track starts it’s got you hooked.

Yep, Dio’s; Holy Diver, Scorpions; World Wide Live, Iron Maiden’s; Live After Death, Eddie Murphy’s, Delirious. Those were the days

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nacci,
We had exactly the same experience as kids coming from Catholic Italian families. Both of my parents are from the old country. The Last in Line was a monumental album back in 1984...a total game changer. Dio screwed the pooch by letting Vivian go and breaking up the original band and that incredible mojo that they had. Their writing was just incredible...never again were the songs that great.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Love it, what a drummer.

I’d shoveled snow off driveways in the winter to make money then walked to the local Benny’s to get one of the first Walkmans. I would listen to Holy Diver relentlessly while doing my paper route, which in “84” was in the early morning before school!

I was no easy task keeping that tape cover hidden in a strict Catholic Italian family either

Much respect to Vivian Campbell’s guitar work too. As soon as that track starts it’s got you hooked.

Yep, Dio’s; Holy Diver, Scorpions; World Wide Live, Iron Maiden’s; Live After Death, Eddie Murphy’s, Delirious. Those were the days
Awesome! I haven't thought about Delirious/Raw in a while..

"EDDIE, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY?!"

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
This is a great example of "What can he do on a smaller kit, why does he need all those toms ?". Most don't "need", just like/want more sounds.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
My brother and saw Dio at the Providence Civic Center when we were in our teens. At some point during the show the keyboard blew up and sent the guy playing it reeling but the band kept playing. They carried the guy off but then he came back later the finish the show. The whole thing was some theatrical ruse. Does anybody else recall such nonsense at a Dio show?

...also, I remember him turning the lights on and singing to us A capella with no mic, and he filled the hall. That’s how powerful his voice was.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My brother and saw Dio at the Providence Civic Center when we were in our teens. At some point during the show the keyboard blew up and sent the guy playing it reeling but the band kept playing. They carried the guy off but then he came back later the finish the show. The whole thing was some theatrical ruse. Does anybody else recall such nonsense at a Dio show?

...also, I remember him turning the lights on and singing to us A capella with no mic, and he filled the hall. That’s how powerful his voice was.
He was a true powerhouse!!

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Love it, what a drummer.

Ah, yes! Nacci I'm guessing we are about the same age (I'm 52) and between me an a few buddies we had all the albums you listed...pretty sure I still have my vinyl copy of Worldwide Live laying around someplace!

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow, "Last in Line" was a really pivotal rock drumming record for me. I remember when my older brother brought that record home. I think I learned a lot about rock groove from Vinny's playing...even if I was only 7 at the time. I had just got my first drum set, just started lessons, so I was a total sponge, ready to soak up this rock! So glad to see the lineup is still active. I saw Dio once in 2003, opening for Iron Maiden (Motorhead was also on the bill). What an amazing night that was.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ah, yes! Nacci I'm guessing we are about the same age (I'm 52) and between me an a few buddies we had all the albums you listed...pretty sure I still have my vinyl copy of Worldwide Live laying around someplace!
Pretty close, I’m 48. World Wide Live was definitely a great album. I saw the Scorpions open for Motley Crue at the Meadows in Hartford, CT. in 1999 and the were great. I think we called them back two or three times, people we all on their feet yelling for them. You could tell when they came to the front of the stage to call it and take their bow that the really felt the love and appreciated it.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pretty close, I’m 48. World Wide Live was definitely a great album. I saw the Scorpions open for Motley Crue at the Meadows in Hartford, CT. in 1999 and the were great. I think we called them back two or three times, people we all on their feet yelling for them. You could tell when they came to the front of the stage to call it and take their bow that the really felt the love and appreciated it.
Awesome!!

Latest posts