Last week's L.A. CL score - 70s Luddy 3-ply 12/14/18/24

ludtubs

Reaction score
[SIZE=10.5pt]Hey all, [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Very happy w/this find & wanted to share. Thanks to a fellow DFO-er & close friend in Tulsa (who’d like to remain nameless) for finding this listing right after it went up & texting me as I was travelling back from a run in TX last Sunday.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I'd casually been looking for a 14x24 & 16x18 in 3-ply, either to A.) re-wrap in blue sparkle, to go with my all-original '66 Super Classics... or B.) to pair up w/my already re-wrapped green sparkle early 70s S.C.'s, which I'd re-re-wrap in something different (I'm so over the green after 15 yrs), to ultimately have a 13/16/18/24 setup. Along came this kit at what I consider somewhat of a steal for the larger sizes, and so, "Plan B" it is. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]It was a not-so-detailed listing w/3 not-so-detailed pics, but they're all 3-ply, pointy B/O badges, & Mahogany Cortex finish, which is hidden under some cheap, thin, black sticker-wrap (that at first glance I thought was Black Panther, but alas). I'm told this was done in the 80s by the previous owner's guitarist. I'm only the 3rd owner, as is the case w/my '66 blues mentioned above... pretty cool! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The "set" is clear lacquered maple interiors (mahogany outer plies under the cortex) 10x14, 16x18, 14x24, with get this... SEQUENTIAL SERIALS! Plus, an add-on 8x12 w/Granitone interior, also in Mahogany Cortex. No extra holes, original edges, and all shells seem to be pretty much in-round, as far as I can tell so far. There is a 1-number gap in the serials, which I assume was the other rack tom. I’m guessing a 13, or perhaps a 15? The kit also came w/some negligible, brand-unknown, very cheap 8 & 10 concert toms w/a stand, also brand-unknown. Ideas? They appear to have had horizontal badges, as the tac-holes on the shell would lead me to believe. Guessing birch or beach wood, interiors appear to be laminate. Who cares, I’ll hang on to em for gits & shiggles.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Here’s what I’ve got:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]10x14 - 1363612[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]16x18 - 1363610[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]14x24 - 1363609[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]8x12 - 1142259[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Attaching some “before” pics for now, and have more to add later, as well as a couple of time lapse vids of the black removal on the 24 & 18. The 24’s all cleaned & reassembled & sounds magnificent! The 18’s hardware hasn’t been cleaned or reinstalled yet, and its reso-edge has some dings all around that will need to be addressed ultimately, but nothing serious. I’m sure it must have spent some time w/no bottom head, as was typical back in the day. Haven’t really “bonded” w/the 14 or 12 yet, but soon.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I wasn't actually "looking" for a 14 or 12, but I knew I'd want a 14 down the road sometime. And I've also missed having a 12 in my life as an option. This price to me was very reasonable, JUST for the 24 & 18 alone, but w/a 14 that was part of the original set, PLUS a 12 (Granitone was an added bonus for me since I've yet to own any)... this was THE deal I was looking for. Stoked! [/SIZE]

Attachments

Trev

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That mahogany looks great! Personally, I wouldn't rewrap them. That wood finish is the bees knackers! :)

69OysterBlue

DFO Master
Reaction score
Very cool kit and a rare treat to have consecutive SN's.

I'm not sure I could warm up to the dark mahogany cortex but the fact that the serial numbers are in order would make me reluctant to re-wrap.

I would clean up and play as is for a while. You can always re-wrap them down the road if you get tired of the mahogany.

Great score!

Troyh

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice find. My favorite Luddies are the clear ints.!
My vote is leaning toward no rewrap. I've had a couple of kits in that finish and they will grow on ya'.
Have fun!

Latest posts