Late 50's Krupa RK - Lots of Pics - Questions

MarcCrossland

Reaction score
Hi all,

I decided to buy this single ply Slingerland Krupa/Radioking last week and it came in the mail today. I had some questions regarding it in this thread: http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/topic/141210-slingerland-snare-artist/

A few things that weren't evident in the pictures provided from the seller was the rust? that was left on the wrap after removing the Clamshell strainer by the look of it.

The bottom edge appears to have been recut to a much sharper degree.

Big thanks to this forum and its members for always providing essential info.

Attachments

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
From what I can see it looks alright. Very nice drum, solid shell hope it sounds good , these snares have a rightfull great reputation for the sound. I have a 10 lug version, it took a while and a bit of experimentation with different wires and heads to find the sweet spot, once I did though, I it sounds very nice indeed, I wish I had an 8 lug one , mines 10. How are the snare beds they are usually quite deep on these drums, - make sure they are even and placed right, it makes a big difference. I had some edge work done on mine , wish I didn't have to, ( by a rated professional) as near as possible to original specs because the sound ( or so I thought) went not as good after I banged a door on it. The rust bit wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I hope some others chime in about this cos it's worth it.

maxb2k

Reaction score
It's hard to tell from the pictures, and quite possible the seller was not aware. You may have a good sense of that, and ultimately need to decide what you want.
A few years back, I bought a Chicago badge RK off eBay. It had some known issues, the re-rings were separated at places, shell slightly out of round, the clam shell strainer's handle had broken off, but for me it didn't matter. The price was right, it was a birth year produced snare drum, and in red sparkle finish!

Long story short, it's become a favorite snare to gig and record. People do notice and compliment. It's the vintage tone you just can't get with any modern day snare. Probably wouldn't work in heavy metal gigs, but that's not the musical setting I'm in. One more thing, and full disclosure. . . I did bring it to a drum builder who repaired the re-rings, and trued up the edges to factory spec. It was well worth it, and I now have a great musical instrument that's a keeper for life.

MarcCrossland

Reaction score
thanks for the replies Drumstickdude and maxb2k. Right, my only real concern with this drum is the evenness of the snare beds. One end looks right, the other end is definitely off-center (the butt-plate end). All the same, after I tuned it up and put 30-strand puresound wires on, it's as sensitive as I can imagine, and it can crack like thunder so I don't see the hurry to get them re-done.
I'll take some more pictures of the the two snare beds, as the pictures don't really give it an accurate depiction.
The shell and edges themselves are really clean and there are no cracks aside from slight separation on the rings, but I don't think that is anything to be overly concerned with.
Maybe down the road I'll come around to re-finishing the edges/beds but for now I'm just happy I came across this thing for the price and finish ($260, matches my 67' Ludwigs) - can't ask for much more. It's a beautiful sounding (and looking) instrument.
I'll just take care of it and put it to good work.

@drumstickdude, how did redoing the bearing edges/beds affect the sound on yours?

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You are right, the edges do look nice, now about the snare beds I hadn't realy noticed on mine but the guy doing the work said he thought they were off, but, as you say - if it sounds good and sensitive then that should be fine? - in your case they might not look right but. it could still be working well- the quirks of vintage drums. Or they might need re-doing. Also with heads and hoops off how well does the drum sit flat on a flat surface? Mine was I think about 1/8 out ( there was a gap showing) yes after I got edges done it sounds a lot better, but it was nice before. Prior to the edge work it wouldnt tune as high, but it can do now, that Is the main thing I've noticed. I think I don't like to go to high though as these snares have great tone.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Pretty common for those snares to have off center snare beds...I think the guys at Slingerland just did them by eye.

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
The man who cut snare beds at Slingerland from 1935 until the factory closed down was Edgar Strabismus. He also worked as Bud Slingerland's chauffeur. Here's a photo of Edgar taken by Bud Slingerland at his retirement banquet.

Attachments

MarcCrossland

Reaction score
W&A Player said:
The man who cut snare beds at Slingerland from 1935 until the factory closed down was Edgar Strabismus. He also worked as Bud Slingerland's chauffeur. Here's a photo of Edgar taken by Bud Slingerland at his retirement banquet.
LOL.

MarcCrossland

Reaction score
Drumstickdude said:
You are right, the edges do look nice, now about the snare beds I hadn't realy noticed on mine but the guy doing the work said he thought they were off, but, as you say - if it sounds good and sensitive then that should be fine? - in your case they might not look right but. it could still be working well- the quirks of vintage drums. Or they might need re-doing. Also with heads and hoops off how well does the drum sit flat on a flat surface? Mine was I think about 1/8 out ( there was a gap showing) yes after I got edges done it sounds a lot better, but it was nice before. Prior to the edge work it wouldnt tune as high, but it can do now, that Is the main thing I've noticed. I think I don't like to go to high though as these snares have great tone.
I finally got to play the snare at rehearsal today and it kills. I tune it about medium, enough to crack but that's it. What a beast of a drum, don't want to change a thing about it. I have another maple snare that's 6.5x14 staved shell and it's bright as can be, I wanted an RK shell purely for tone.