Late 60s Yamaha Set in Brown Willow Pearl - Any Have Info?

TheWeight7

Reaction score
First time posting, but I have had zero luck finding definitive info on this kit I picked up! Wondering if anyone around here has any info about dating, shell types, etc. Or, anyone else have one?

Really all I've been able to figure out is that it's a Yamaha DT-225 (their top of the line model when they started selling drums in the US), and most likely from late 60s because of the wood bass drum hoops. The hardware and construction quality is surprisingly really, really good.

Two 12" mounted toms, a 16" floor, and a 20" bass with wood hoops. Not a museum piece, But the wrap is AMAZING and in great condition with no noticeable fade and only a little rash, the bearing edges are fantastic, I haven't found any rust yet, no pitting whatsoever, and everything seems to be original. I'm really in love with this wrap, too. Sadly, I probably won't be able to hold on to it, but such is life...
IMG_20190926_170817.jpg
IMG_20190926_170835.jpg
IMG_20190926_170940.jpg
IMG_20190926_170845.jpg

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You already seem to have all the pertinent information as to what the kit is - mfg, model, finish, sizes, condition. All you have to do from here is to finish cleaning it up and/or post it for sale if that's your intention. Any potential buyer of that kit will probably know exactly any additional specs on it just from what you've presented so far. Check out completed listings from Reverb (google "reverb yamaha willow") and you will find many similar kits that have appeared for sale, their asking and selling prices, and other specs. Looks like a nice kit.

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/search.php?searchid=5037870

I went to vintage drum forum and searched for all "Yamaha willow" drums under the "non-USA vintage" drum section. Should be some info there.

TheWeight7

Reaction score
Thanks Tama! I do have a lot of the info, and I apologize for the ambiguity in my original post. I was just wondering if anyone had any definitive sources :) It seems with vintage Yamahas that a lot of the info I've found is wishy-washy. I've probably seen three different guesses on shell construction, for example, with no one able to point to a catalog or publication that actually says what they are.

Even though I might sell it, I'm just generally really curious about the set and want to know more about it, abd if anyone plays one, owned one, etc. They're neat drums!

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yamaha wasn't even definitive on how their 1977-1981 drums were constructed, so I can only imagine the issues you have nailing down a late 60's kit. I wouldn't obsess over it. Whether your shells are birch, beech, or some other variation probably doesn't alter the value too much. You can take some close up photos of a couple bearing edges and post them here. Might have some experts that can pin point your shell construction. Fwiw, the mfg's pumping out drums in the 60's didn't spend much time thinking about the various woods or informing customers what woods they were utilizing. Maple, mahogany, birch were sometimes interchanged for each other when one of them ran out on the assembly line.

Last edited:

TheWeight7

Reaction score
:lol: Wow, I didn't realize that about Yamahas! Totally fair. And yeah, this isn't really coming from a desire to resell (selling them comes down to whether I'm moving soon or not, both to free up money and space...). They just seem a noticeable step up in terms of quality from a lot of MIJ kits I've seen/played, so I thought there might be some folks out there who still play them regularly.

It's too bad Yamaha stopped making the finishes of this era, they're pretty wild. I can kind of see a similarity between them and some of the Tour Custom wraps.

mesazoo

Reaction score
:lol: Wow, I didn't realize that about Yamahas! Totally fair. And yeah, this isn't really coming from a desire to resell (selling them comes down to whether I'm moving soon or not, both to free up money and space...). They just seem a noticeable step up in terms of quality from a lot of MIJ kits I've seen/played, so I thought there might be some folks out there who still play them regularly.

It's too bad Yamaha stopped making the finishes of this era, they're pretty wild. I can kind of see a similarity between them and some of the Tour Custom wraps.
Yamaha most likely outsourced that wrap so it isn’t a matter of them discontinuing production.

Latest posts