Late 90s DW Collector's opinion

Rmgreg

Reaction score
What cymbals does it come with? It comes with all the hardware pictured? What double pedal is it?
I would likely sell many of the cymbals since I have a brand new Zildjian K Pack

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like a real nice kit. I would try getting as close to $3k as possible.

Just make sure he send a close up picture of the gold hardware. From my experience the gold can pit faster.

Rmgreg

Reaction score
Looks like a real nice kit. I would try getting as close to $3k as possible.

Just make sure he send a close up picture of the gold hardware. From my experience the gold can pit faster.
I will be seeing in person. I'll look for that. Thx!

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Scratch on the bass and gold looks good. Dw snare and extra pearl snare
Looks like he mixed and matched drums ........ The kick has regular grain maple on it........ the toms have birdseye...

I would negotiate for lower because of that IMO...

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He swears he bought it all together as a set

Yes.. He might of done that... but he bought a mixed set...

You can clearly see in the photos IMO..

Ask him to send you photos of ONLY the kick... from a foot away... 3 foot away.... 5 foot away.

This is Not birdseye afaik

Screenshot_20210406-155533.png

But these DO definitely look like birdseye

Screenshot_20210406-155512.png

Last edited:

Rmgreg

Reaction score
Yes.. He might of done that... but he bought a mixed set...

You can clearly see in the photos IMO..

Ask him to send you photos of ONLY the kick... from a foot away... 3 foot away.... 5 foot away.

This is Not birdseye afaik

View attachment 493491
You are right. The floor tom is same straight grain. It may only be the rack toms that are hurled?

Attachments

Rmgreg

Reaction score
I assume it's worth way less if the rack toms (4) are a birdseye and the bass and floor are straight even if they are close enough in color

Rmgreg

Reaction score

Attachments

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I assume it's worth way less if the rack toms (4) are a birdseye and the bass and floor are straight even if they are close enough in color
Yeah.. probably much... much less ....... and I would guess the dude already knew.. he had them for so long and it is so obvious.. especially if you are the owner with your eyes right in front of the drums.. .... he is probably just seeing if he can get a buyer who might not notice LOL

you owe me !!! LOL

Rmgreg

Reaction score
Yeah.. probably much... much less ....... and I would guess the dude already knew.. he had them for so long and it is so obvious.. especially if you are the owner with your eyes right in front of the drums.. .... he is probably just seeing if he can get a buyer who might not notice LOL

you owe me !!! LOL
Yes I do!

Rmgreg

Reaction score
I asked for pics if the badges. He is either flat lying or was deceived in his purchase 20+ yrs ago. He said he bought new

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He needs the numbers inside the shells.

When he has those, contact Mike Beers at DW or DW directly through facebook messenger who then can tell everything about the kit.

The numbers on the badges are only forcontinuity/personal insurance number purposes.

My kit was ordered new in 2018 and doesn’t have the same numbers on the badges either (653052, 652946, 652945, and 652970)

It could also be very light Birdseye on the kick and floor and the rest more present.

But DW can tell.

Also. If those badges are the Black/Gold ones, they are from the 1994/1995 - 1996/1997 period.

After that they moved to the Black/Chrome badges.

If the gold/brass is in prisitine condition and with all the extra’s it comes with it. I would say 3-4k easy even with the wood grain not being the same.

As it is only a vineer, you won’t notice it sound-wise and they all look the same from a distance and problable even from the drivers seat.

Last edited:

Rmgreg

Reaction score
He needs the numbers inside the shells.

When he has those, contact Mike Beers at DW or DW directly through facebook messenger who then can tell everything about the kit.

The numbers on the badges are only forcontinuity/personal insurance number purposes.

My kit was ordered new in 2018 and doesn’t have the same numbers on the badges either (653052, 652946, 652945, and 652970)

It could also be very light Birdseye on the kick and floor and the rest more present.

But DW can tell.

Also. If those badges are the Black/Gold ones, they are from the 1994/1995 - 1996/1997 period.

After that they moved to the Black/Chrome badges.

If the gold/brass is in prisitine condition and with all the extra’s it comes with it. I would say 3-4k easy even with the wood grain not being the same.

As it is only a vineer, you won’t notice it sound-wise and they all look the same from a distance and problable even from the drivers seat.
Awesome info. I've asked him to check for numbers inside the shells. Will they match if all from a matched set? Or will they just be identifiable by DW?