Late 90s DW Collector's opinion

Rmgreg

Reaction score
He needs the numbers inside the shells.

When he has those, contact Mike Beers at DW or DW directly through facebook messenger who then can tell everything about the kit.

The numbers on the badges are only forcontinuity/personal insurance number purposes.

My kit was ordered new in 2018 and doesn’t have the same numbers on the badges either (653052, 652946, 652945, and 652970)

It could also be very light Birdseye on the kick and floor and the rest more present.

But DW can tell.

Also. If those badges are the Black/Gold ones, they are from the 1994/1995 - 1996/1997 period.

After that they moved to the Black/Chrome badges.

If the gold/brass is in prisitine condition and with all the extra’s it comes with it. I would say 3-4k easy even with the wood grain not being the same.

As it is only a vineer, you won’t notice it sound-wise and they all look the same from a distance and problable even from the drivers seat.
It's odd that only the 2 larger shells (kick and floor tom) look different.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Awesome info. I've asked him to check for numbers inside the shells. Will they match if all from a matched set? Or will they just be identifiable by DW?
Those will line up if ordered together.

In my case, the 10/15/18/22 came together and have the same number. The 12 tom and 15 snare have another number together.

Last edited:

drumstuff66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those will line up if ordered together.

In my case, the 10/15/18/22 came together and have the same number. The 12 tom and 15 snare have another number together.
Same with mine - ordered new in 1999 - the number stamped inside the shells all match. FWIW, the badge numbers are sequential.

Rmgreg

Reaction score
Inside serials don't match. Badge serials aren't sequential. Manufacture date are all 1998 within a few months of each other. I assume all this means it's a mixed set

drumstuff66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'd agree it's a mixed set. I'll add that the manufacturer date stamps inside my shells all match exactly.

fredpasta

Reaction score
'Might' be Keller shells then. If yes - added bonus!! I've owned 5 DW kits and the Kellers have always been the better sounding kit to my ears.

Rmgreg

Reaction score
'Might' be Keller shells then. If yes - added bonus!! I've owned 5 DW kits and the Kellers have always been the better sounding kit to my ears.
Keller shells? What suggests that?

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
'Might' be Keller shells then. If yes - added bonus!! I've owned 5 DW kits and the Kellers have always been the better-sounding kit to my ears.
I wouldn't say bonus, but some people like you do prefer Keller over DW's own shells. I had both of them in various kits and don't feel one is better than the other.

One could argue that due to the shells being older than the DW shells, it makes for less moisture in the shells (and thus more aged, like a guitar).

You can tell them apart by the seams.

DW:
1617973488634.png

Keller:
1617973515631.png

Also things like finished shells in the insides, and the ply count made the differences.

Rmgreg

Reaction score
I wouldn't say bonus, but some people like you do prefer Keller over DW's own shells. I had both of them in various kits and don't feel one is better than the other.

One could argue that due to the shells being older than the DW shells, it makes for less moisture in the shells (and thus more aged, like a guitar).

You can tell them apart by the seams.

DW:
View attachment 493812

Keller:
View attachment 493813

Also things like finished shells in the insides, and the ply count made the differences.
Here's the shell pics he sent

Attachments

Rmgreg

Reaction score
Do the shell pics I just posted tell you anything?

Rmgreg

Reaction score
Check the joints. They can tell. As they fall in the change over period.
That last pic is the only joint pic I have. Would this explain the finish in the floor tom and kick looking different from the rack toms?

Last edited:

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah the toms look like a steep angle too
If you buy those, and that deal is smokin' for that kit if you ask me, I would put that larger upper tom on the floor!
I have gold hardware on my Collectors with clear lacquer over a Redwood Stump veneer with a dark red / brown burst of my own and Louis' design.
They are quite pleasant to behold. I love them and don't concern myself with any other way of looking at it seeing as how they will probably be sold by my heirs.
I'm not sure how that sunny pic got there twice but I'm not gonna deal with it. That pic is to show how different the redwood stump looks under sunlight.
Not jumping on that kit at that price or lower would be a mistake for which you would never forgive yourself. IMO.
4cdad5ac6ba7aa857e35efcea90f56a7.jpg
6bf38307e8bed9db7e95abd8c8cbc399.jpg
6bf38307e8bed9db7e95abd8c8cbc399.jpg
8f9b87befd579a708d75dc773730c10a.jpg

Last edited:

Rmgreg

Reaction score
If you buy those, and that deal is smokin' for that kit if you ask me, I would put that larger upper tom on the floor!
I have gold hardware on my Collectors with clear lacquer over a Redwood Stump veneer with a dark red / brown burst of my own and Louis' design.
They are quite pleasant to behold. I love them and don't concern myself with any other way of looking at it seeing as how they will probably be sold by my heirs.
I'm not sure how that sunny pic got there twice but I'm not gonna deal with it. That pic is to show how different the redwood stump looks under sunlight.
Not jumping on that kit at that price or lower would be a mistake for which you would never forgive yourself. IMO.
View attachment 493844 View attachment 493845 View attachment 493845 View attachment 493846
But in this kit the shells on the kick and floor tom don't appear to match the birdseye look of the rack toms suggesting its not a matched kit. Do you disagree?

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes... I mean, no. It appears on cursory inspection of your pictures that the bass drum has a mahogany veneer and the upper toms do look like birdseye maple veneer with a mahogany stain. But that's one ply and few if any will notice most likely.
For me that explains how you can score a used seven pc Exotic Collectors kit for under $4K.
Deal of a lifetime IMO.

drumstuff66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That last pic is the only joint pic I have. Would this explain the finish in the floor tom and kick looking different from the rack toms?
It's the joints on the re-rings you want to check. As musiqman's pics show finger jointed are DW, straight joints are Keller.

FWIW, every DW <1999 drum I've ever seen has been Keller shells, but we're talking a small sample size.