Late 90s DW Collector's opinion

Rmgreg

Reaction score
It's the joints on the re-rings you want to check. As musiqman's pics show finger jointed are DW, straight joints are Keller.

FWIW, every DW <1999 drum I've ever seen has been Keller shells, but we're talking a small sample size.
Looks like straight seem with no fingerjoints in my last pic to me so I guess that means Keller shells, but that doesn't really explain the different veneers?

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looks like straight seem with no fingerjoints in my last pic to me so I guess that means Keller shells, but that doesn't really explain the different veneers?
One part is a regular maple shell without vineer.

The other birdseye maple vineer. They call this excotic and usually costs more.

The numbers not lining up, confirms this.

Since I can’t tell from the picture you uave to ask for a picture from the seam. Not the shell, you can’t see that from the shell.

If yours is 1999 shell, excpect a DW shell.

Rmgreg

Reaction score
One part is a regular maple shell without vineer.

The other birdseye maple vineer. They call this excotic and usually costs more.

The numbers not lining up, confirms this.

Since I can’t tell from the picture you uave to ask for a picture from the seam. Not the shell, you can’t see that from the shell.

If yours is 1999 shell, excpect a DW shell.
I think the best deal I could get with everything is $2500, with cymbals, stands, dw5000 double, cases and 7 piece set

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Rich guy beginner? The whole setup looks funny, and I'm really a keyboard player. Super pretty drum set, though. Good luck!
You can always look to DW to make drums look like furniture.

Rmgreg

Reaction score
I'm thinking if I could get the set with cases, hardware and cymbals for $2500, even thought the rack toms appear to be a different veneer than the floor tom and kick, this seems like a good deal for a pro kit.

Rmgreg

Reaction score
I'm thinking if I could get the set with cases, hardware and cymbals for $2500, even thought the rack toms appear to be a different veneer than the floor tom and kick, this seems like a good deal for a pro kit.
Thoughts?

Rmgreg

Reaction score
If you buy those, and that deal is smokin' for that kit if you ask me, I would put that larger upper tom on the floor!
I have gold hardware on my Collectors with clear lacquer over a Redwood Stump veneer with a dark red / brown burst of my own and Louis' design.
They are quite pleasant to behold. I love them and don't concern myself with any other way of looking at it seeing as how they will probably be sold by my heirs.
I'm not sure how that sunny pic got there twice but I'm not gonna deal with it. That pic is to show how different the redwood stump looks under sunlight.
Not jumping on that kit at that price or lower would be a mistake for which you would never forgive yourself. IMO.
View attachment 493844 View attachment 493845 View attachment 493845 View attachment 493846
Regarding putting the larger upper tom (16") on the floor... How could I do that without drilling the shells?

Last edited:

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a few Collector kits and IMHO, my 1996 Collector was my favorite.
239BE118-FD00-4E8B-8CAD-7069D3137B8E.jpeg

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Regarding putting the larger upper tom (16") on the floor... How could I do that without drilling the shells?
You could put a dw suspension mount on it and fly it off a cymbal stand. There are other crazy "basket" options too. Or you could drill it. Floor toms with legs are drilled but that would make it permanent.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Picked up the set today! Can't wait to try it out
Congrats! Right move IMO! Can we ask what you got it for?
Don't know what kits you've had in the past but wait till you put a tuning key to them and find out how easy it is to get a more than reasonably pure fundamental "note" tone.