Late to the game (discovering Joe Morello --- WOW!)

ButchA

Reaction score
I know I'm still somewhat of a "newbie" on here and I have an Alesis E-drum kit. I'm not that skilled of a drummer, mainly self taught, and lefthanded...

However, I watched some YouTube clips of the world famous, legendary, Buddy Rich. Everybody on earth has heard of Buddy Rich! However, his abrasiveness, and overall "military D.I." type of manners towards bandmates, turned me off. Then I discovered Joe Morello with the Dave Brubeck Quartet (i.e. the famous hit "Take Five"), and started learning more about Joe Morello. What an incredible drummer with amazing skills! AND... he was darn near blind as well! :salute: Next up: Learning more about Gene Krupa and the rhythm pattern to "Sing, Sing, Sing"...

These guys were all incredible, legendary, and seriously influential! The history is mind boggling! So many famous drummers to learn about! Hopefully this forum can help too!

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Morello was a real treasure and a nice guy.

But don't give up on Buddy Rich. Read his book, One of a Kind. You'll learn a lot about why he was the way he was and also consider they were different times. That's the way it was in the jazz world back then, pre snowflake, and Buddy wasn't the worst of them.

Check out Louie Bellson and Ed Shaugnessy as well. All great players.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score

But don't give up on Buddy Rich. Read his book, One of a Kind. You'll learn a lot about why he was the way he was and also consider they were different times. That's the way it was in the jazz world back then, pre snowflake, and Buddy wasn't the worst of them.

Joe, Louie and Ed are 3 of 4 of my favorite jazz drummers. The 4th is Kenny Clarke.

ButchA

Reaction score
Wow... Thank you all for the replies and added videos of historical performances. So many incredible players back then, who STILL TO THIS DAY have a profound impact of every single drummer, and for generations to come! :cool:

I remember watching a VHS video (remember them, back in the day) of a jazz concert, and as a Special Guest Star, they had Buddy Rich come out and play with them. I vividly remember sitting there glued to the video watching Buddy Rich, and having to rewind the video, thinking to myself, "Wait a minute... what did he just do?!?" --- and I wasn't even a drummer in the school band back then!

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

So the way someone was raised is an excuse ?
It was just that way back then ,sorry .

That’s a load of not true ……..

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love Joe Morello ; there is great clip on Youtube called "Joe Morello : the great drum solo" where he plays different solos; two handed, one handed and then just his hands. I can't get over his skill one handed especially ; if you closed your eyes and listened, you would thinks both hands are doing the work. Worthwhile to check out!
I love his fun attitude with fellow quartet member bassist Gene Wright ; laughing and kibbitzing with him.
Also have a look at the drum clinics on Youtube, you can see how humble he was ; he seemed like a real gentleman ...

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe is and has always been one of my absolute favorite drummers. He was such a good heart and had an unreal grasp of time and feel.
I have most all of the DBQ recordings with Joe.
I spend time about once a year listening to them through.
He continues to inspire me.
Years ago, a member here helped to get him to sign a drumhead for me.
I don’t have a lot of autographs, as it isn’t good form in my line of work.
But that drumhead stays with me.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Morello is that drummer that shines no matter who he's compared to. Total class.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know I'm still somewhat of a "newbie" on here and I have an Alesis E-drum kit. I'm not that skilled of a drummer, mainly self taught, and lefthanded...

However, I watched some YouTube clips of the world famous, legendary, Buddy Rich. Everybody on earth has heard of Buddy Rich! However, his abrasiveness, and overall "military D.I." type of manners towards bandmates, turned me off. Then I discovered Joe Morello with the Dave Brubeck Quartet (i.e. the famous hit "Take Five"), and started learning more about Joe Morello. What an incredible drummer with amazing skills! AND... he was darn near blind as well! :salute: Next up: Learning more about Gene Krupa and the rhythm pattern to "Sing, Sing, Sing"...

These guys were all incredible, legendary, and seriously influential! The history is mind boggling! So many famous drummers to learn about! Hopefully this forum can help too!
I just started playing a few years ago and discovered Joe too. Wow and then I found a local drum shop owner who knew him and saw him about once a year. Said he was a great guy and always willing to help players and stay around to answer questions. Seemed like even a better person than a player.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was lucky. As a kid in the 60's I started listening to my parents "Time Further Out" album. I was particularly fascinated with "Unsquare Dance" where Joe laughs at the end of the difficult final section.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
The recording of The Dave Brubeck Quartet from Carnegie Hall is so amazing. Joe's drums sound like Bonzo pre-Bonzo! Lol... John clearly had a bit of a Morello influence in his playing for sure. How could you not?

My favorite jazz player was Art Blakey. I really wish I had the chance to see him. he passed away when I was in high school.