Latest Build -

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wanted to share/show-off the results of my latest snare drum build. Until I can buy/afford a vintage Camco snare drum to go with my kit, I wanted to have a snare drum that not only sounded great, but it had to look great just to keep up with the rest of the kit. I like the way it came out. I try to go for a classy vintage look and fat, warm sound. I scored twice with this one! Judge for yourself.

4"x14" snare drum. Keller 6-ply VSS Maple shell, 8 - Ego single-point-mount lugs, Worldmax single-flange (vintage) brass hoops and rim-clips, Puresound wires, and a vintage Ludwig piccolo strainer and 'small script' butt plate. Also has a Ludwig internal tone control and brass vent grommet. I wrapped the drum in a piece of red glass glitter wrap that was left over from the restoration of my Camco kit.

The drum sounds awesome! So ballsy and authoritative for a shallow snare drum. Crisp, open, throaty even a little raw, great tones out on the rims, silky responsiveness from the snares even with gentle finger taps - and- it has a solid -LOUD- crack for back-beats. Nothing beats the great woody tones of a quality maple shell. The Puresound wires sound great on this drum. Aquarian coated vintage batter, Ludwig stock snare head.

Tell me what you think. It looks great in with the kit and gives it a 'finished/complete' look.

Enjoy,

John

Kevin_S

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had one in a very similar setup and it sounded great. You did a great job on this one!

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
> got a big kick out of the logo on your reso head

That cool logo sticker that plays on combination of, 'George Way & DW' was a gift from fellow Camco lover, Steve (Dolfan54)

> I had one in a very similar setup

Post up a picture for me, Kevin. I'd love to see it.

Thanks for kind comments... she is a beauty though isn't she?

John