Latest Ebay Score - COB Radio King

SKSMITH

Reaction score
Been awhile since I've gotten anything too exciting, but the dog woke me up early this morning. I figured I'd scour Ebay to see what was out there, and this popped up.
It needs a badge and the seller stated it has some dents, so I'll have to perform some "body work".
Not too often that these show up. I'm guessing it's from the early to mid-60's.
Steve

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I just saw your post about this drum on FB.
Nice cob RK and you got a sweet deal there!

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Why would some idiot remove the badge?
Radio King’s police commissioner (feeling pressure from the mayor who’s up for reelection) saw Radio King as a loose cannon and an embarrassment to the whole department, and so ordered him to turn it in along with his gun and take an extended vacation?

SKSMITH

Reaction score
Yeah, it's too bad about the badge. I'll find one but not sure about how the grommet is secured. I'll have to search from some interior pics of some COB shells.
Steve

SlingyFan

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's too bad about the badge. I'll find one but not sure about how the grommet is secured. I'll have to search from some interior pics of some COB shells.
Steve
Get in touch with Jim Moritz at Chicago Drum. He should have the correct grommets and possibly the tool to install them. Congrats on your new drum, I've owned a couple in the past, fantastic snares!

SKSMITH

Reaction score
Thanks guys.
I need to contact Jim about a couple of floor tom t-bolts also.
Steve

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
John Ollis has a bunch of badges and the vent grommets. There's a gentleman on ebay who sells the correct installation tool. $50, but if you plan to do more drum work, worth the investment. Wish I'd known about it before doing my new Slingerland kit. I used the $5 installation tool that Precision sells, and it works just fine, but the interior flare is not correct.

By the way, that snare is beautiful.

GeeDeeEmm

SKSMITH

Reaction score
Badge, grommet, & wing screws on their way from Jim Moritz.
I don't know about $50 for a grommet tool. I get the feeling that it is for wood shelled Keller-era Slingerlands anyway.....
I've googled to no end, and have not come up with a decent Slingy COB interior pic showing the grommet. Can somebody post one on here?
Thanks,
Steve

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had one with my '73 JazzRock outfit.
Listen to Phil Earhardt on Kansas tunes.
I believe its a 6.5 but its that tone that mine had,loved it,sold that whole kit for $300 & a lid!

SKSMITH

Reaction score
Shuffle, what I find strange is that COB Radio Kings are only cataloged from 63 thru 67, and disappearing in the 69 catalog.
Yet, I know I've seen & heard of black/silver badged versions. And I'm positive this one is a 70's, with large knobbed muffler.
I'll be sure to take detailed pics once it arrives.
Steve

SKSMITH

Reaction score
Does anyone know who makes replacement snares for the 3-point strainer with extended bridges?
These have seen much better days.
Need to pick up some heads as well, which was pretty obvious from the auction photos. Just haven't gotten around to it.
I'm going to try to massage the dents out tomorrow, looks like it was dropped a couple of times (or bounced down a flight of stairs!).
I got my new badge / grommet from Jim at Chicago Drum Co!
Steve

Latest posts