header.nohb.html

Latest NSMD Article - Finishes on Round Badge Gretsch Drums

KCDrumDad

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have percentages from where each piece of data was sourced (x% eBay, x% DFO, etc)? What insights have you gathered as a result of this work?
I did a very rough count of the sources of the info. I did not record the sources per se, so it is not a sortable field. However, I recorded the name of the source (seller ID or owner name or person reporting information) so I can do a quick count using that. Some drums were found both on ebay or Reverb and on drum forums or Facebook. I tried to use the first place that I saw it listed.

Ebay - 67%
Reverb - 7%
Facebook Groups or Marketplace - 6%
Drum Forums (DFO, VDF) - 6%
emails from Owners - 5%
List compiled by others - 2%
Websites - 2%
Craigslist - 1%
Other - 4%

The only insight is the caution that it is important to consider the source of the data when looking at the results. The vast majority of the drums recorded are being offered for sale (some repeatedly over the 16 years I have been gathering information).

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I did a very rough count of the sources of the info. I did not record the sources per se, so it is not a sortable field. However, I recorded the name of the source (seller ID or owner name or person reporting information) so I can do a quick count using that. Some drums were found both on ebay or Reverb and on drum forums or Facebook. I tried to use the first place that I saw it listed.

Ebay - 67%
Reverb - 7%
Facebook Groups or Marketplace - 6%
Drum Forums (DFO, VDF) - 6%
emails from Owners - 5%
List compiled by others - 2%
Websites - 2%
Craigslist - 1%
Other - 4%

The only insight is the caution that it is important to consider the source of the data when looking at the results. The vast majority of the drums recorded are being offered for sale (some repeatedly over the 16 years I have been gathering information).
Thanks for your additional work and the words of caution to the reader. With some collection of information it may not be meaningful statistically yet can still be useful. The information cannot be used to infer numbers about finishes produced, a misinterpretation I’ve read in this thread, but perhaps give us a general sense of what finishes were commonly being listed on certain sites over a given period of time.

KCDrumDad

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for your additional work and the words of caution to the reader. With some collection of information it may not be meaningful statistically yet can still be useful. The information cannot be used to infer numbers about finishes produced, a misinterpretation I’ve read in this thread, but perhaps give us a general sense of what finishes were commonly being listed on certain sites over a given period of time.
I have learned that people will often read into things I have written what they want to read. I like your wording.

I would also point out that I have personally touched only a tiny fraction of the drums in the study. I rely upon pictures (some good, some bad) and information from others. Some of the people selling drums are quite knowledgeable and their descriptions are precise and complete. Others, well, not so much.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have learned that people will often read into things I have written what they want to read. I like your wording.

I would also point out that I have personally touched only a tiny fraction of the drums in the study. I rely upon pictures (some good, some bad) and information from others. Some of the people selling drums are quite knowledgeable and their descriptions are precise and complete. Others, well, not so much.
Thanks. I sense this article will be very helpful to those of us seeking a desired finish in the market. It has already validated my patience with some finishes and my urgency with others. Thank you!

KCDrumDad

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
@KCDrumDad

whatdo you make of these two from volkweins, snares; 7"? model number? etc..any comment.

Model 4191 is seen in the 1966 catalog #43 (page 10) as a 7x14" Concert Snare. At that time the throw was a Microsensitive. It would have changed to the first version of the Lightning by the time these drums were made in 1967-68ish.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
excellent. 4191. Thanks you excellent.
Concert Snare Drums. Page 10. Got it.