Latest Project: Levon sells cartoon balloons in different shades of brown

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Here is my latest drum project in almost finished state. I set them up for a photo shoot but ended up kind of rushing things a bit because it was really hot out even in the evening.
A Levon Helm style set of various marching drums in wood finishes. I wanted to do all mahogany and have them sort of match but the drums that came my way didn't cooperate in quite that way. And that is sort of the point of one of these sets anyway, looking like something assembled out of the cast off drums found in the back of a band room closet.

Ludwig & Ludwig Pioneer snare, Ludwig "Cub" 9x13 small tom, Eagle badge Rogers 10x14 "floor" tom, WFL 12x16 "floor" tom, Ludwig & Ludwig 14x28 bass drum. The Rogers came from a local thrift store for $11. It was in good shape but covered in several layers of paint and it was quite a chore to strip it down. Likewise the 16" drum. I bought that on ebay for $10 but the shipping was $85 (likely the reason there were no other bidders) and it was also buried under a heap of paint that was tough to remove. The other three are pretty much as purchased. I found the Cub on facebook ($100) the snare I inherited from a friend, and the bass drum came as part of a package deal many years ago for little or nothing. All but the snare are single tension drums.

This has been a "backburner" project for many years and was kind of spurred along recently by finding the Cub snare. That gave me the incentive to dig out the 14 and start to strip it and also start hunting for a 15 or 16 single tension as my larger floor tom. I was hopeful to get a 16 and that is why I overpaid for the one on ebay.

The "floor toms" are held off the ground by cut down Slingerland snare drum stands and the 13 is also on a vintage Slingerland snare stand (a rather rare one).

Not sure what I'll do with them. If the gigs pick up I'm sure I'll give them a try at some point. A roots or Americana themed band would be kind of fun to participate in and these would be perfect. Now I need to move on to one of the other various projects I could have in the works, rewrap projects, etc.

Levon 7.jpg

levon 5.jpg

Levon set 2.jpg

Levon set 3.jpg

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
two floor toms sorta overdoing it isn't it ; ?.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really like that kit. Nice job.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow...just wow. Thats Levon Helm! What a unique, cool looking set.
The common wood theme ties each drum together. And not a square lug in sight!
Great job on those drums KO!

gkrk

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd like to do one of these kits with a smaller bass drum someday. How do yours sound together?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'd like to do one of these kits with a smaller bass drum someday. How do yours sound together?
I haven't really played it to any great extent but the toms seem to match up pretty well. The bass is a bit boomy and needs further taming. I would have preferred a 26" or 24" bass but this was what I had. I thought it was a 26 right up until the new 26" head I ordered arrived. DOH! I ordered a 28" and happened to have the fiberskyn head that is now on the front. A friend had given me the head years ago and I had it stashed away. It already had the port in it which wouldn't have been my ideal setup for such a set but accepting it saves me a fair chunk of change and it's probably more practical for miking if I ever gig with these. I made the logo myself with my Cricut machine. The bass drum shell could benefit from some Old English.

The 16" had a mix of Slingerland and WFL parts but I think it started life as a WFL based on the shell interior. Definitely doesn't look like a RK era Slingerland interior. I had to buy new wood hoops for that drum as someone had switched it to metal hoops at some point. I installed a WFL repro badge.
16x12.jpg

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
The vintage stands really seal the deal !
Very nice !!!!

Thanks! I try to keep things reasonably "period correct" at least for a photo shoot. I wanted to put but my 28" A. Zildjian as the ride but it was too hot to deal with hauling any more stuff outside.

Last edited:

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They look excellent. Are you going to gig them?

owr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 16" like that and it actually makes a pretty fun little bass drum - you could go 13/14/16 if you were so inclined. Nicely done!

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very nice, love the look. A recording would be nice to hear.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is my latest drum project in almost finished state. I set them up for a photo shoot but ended up kind of rushing things a bit because it was really hot out even in the evening.
A Levon Helm style set of various marching drums in wood finishes. I wanted to do all mahogany and have them sort of match but the drums that came my way didn't cooperate in quite that way. And that is sort of the point of one of these sets anyway, looking like something assembled out of the cast off drums found in the back of a band room closet.

Ludwig & Ludwig Pioneer snare, Ludwig "Cub" 9x13 small tom, Eagle badge Rogers 10x14 "floor" tom, WFL 12x16 "floor" tom, Ludwig & Ludwig 14x28 bass drum. The Rogers came from a local thrift store for $11. It was in good shape but covered in several layers of paint and it was quite a chore to strip it down. Likewise the 16" drum. I bought that on ebay for $10 but the shipping was $85 (likely the reason there were other bidders) and it was also buried under a heap of paint that was tough to remove. The other three are pretty much as purchased. I found the Cub on facebook ($100) the snare I inherited from a friend, and the bass drum came as part of a package deal many years ago for little or nothing. All but the snare are single tension drums.

This has been a "backburner" project for many years and was kind of spurred along recently by finding the Cub snare. That gave me the incentive to dig out the 14 and start to strip it and also start hunting for a 15 or 16 single tension as my larger floor tom. I was hopeful to get a 16 and that is why I overpaid for the one on ebay.

The "floor toms" are held off the ground by cut down Slingerland snare drum stands and the 13 is also on a vintage Slingerland snare stand (a rather rare one).

Not sure what I'll do with them. If the gigs pick up I'm sure I'll give them a try at some point. A roots or Americana themed band would be kind of fun to participate in and these would be perfect. Now I need to move on to one of the other various projects I could have in the works, rewrap projects, etc.

View attachment 504663

View attachment 504664

View attachment 504665

View attachment 504666
Absolute killer! My long-gone uncle Phil had a very similar kit, but in Slingerland. He'd had them since 1941. His 32-inch bass drum was thunderous. He played that kit for 50 years at his church. I used to sit in many times. Great hideout from my bully-busting sisters. They never left the church all that time. They had a killer Dixieland-style 8 member band. They had all the church party gigs for 40 years. Upon his death they were to be willed to me, but before he died, his crackhead nephew sold them for 50 dollars. That was 9 years ago. What a loss! Your kit is stunning!

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Hopefully the right gig will come along soon.

This set might be worthy of starting another (third) band just to have an appropriate place to use it.

Reactions: JDA

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
K.O. That set looks great, and should play really nice. Nonissue with different shades of brown. That is how it should be. I put together a small version for a specific studio. Sounds even better than I expected.
65FA21ED-0BA3-4A46-8D98-6B97B9F83696.jpeg