Latest Project: Levon sells cartoon balloons in different shades of brown

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
K.O. That set looks great, and should play really nice. Nonissue with different shades of brown. That is how it should be. I put together a small version for a specific studio. Sounds even better than I expected. View attachment 504716
Very cool!
I'd like to find an alternative bass drum in a smaller size for my set at some point. Not sure how prevalent smaller single tension bass drums might be but I would think there would be a bass drum equivalent of the Cub snare drum for younger drummers to use/carry.

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Very cool!
I'd like to find an alternative bass drum in a smaller size for my set at some point. Not sure how prevalent smaller single tension bass drums might be but I would think there would be a bass drum equivalent of the Cub snare drum for younger drummers to use/carry.
ludwig made tango bass drums in the 20’s. Not easy to find a complete one, or one with a true head size that accepts modern heads. I’ve been watching for one for a long time.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know a guy locally who has this for sale: Ludwig Mahogany 26" Bass Drum Circa 1930 needs work $125.00

I have seen it. It is big and will cost $$$ to ship. If you are interested, please PM me.

Also, I have a 10x14 and 12x15, both former marching snares (shells only), that would make nice toms. Please PM me......

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Two pages of comments and no one points out the Madman Across The Water album lyric? Hmmm. I guess I’m just an old timer at 60. Well I love the kit, looks very weathered and I like that. Someday I want a drum set like Jaco’s bass. Warm and beautiful and full of wear.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I know a guy locally who has this for sale: Ludwig Mahogany 26" Bass Drum Circa 1930 needs work $125.00

I have seen it. It is big and will cost $$$ to ship. If you are interested, please PM me.

Also, I have a 10x14 and 12x15, both former marching snares (shells only), that would make nice toms. Please PM me......
Thanks for the info. I think shipping would probably kill any deal on a bass drum that size unless it were local to me. If something comes my way locally I'll snag it, otherwise I have a perfectly usable bass drum right now.

I think we discussed your marching shells earlier when I was hunting for the 16.

p83

DFO Master
Reaction score
i got lucky on my 28. i followed it on CL for months, as he kept lowering the price. i should mention the drum was an 8 hour drive each way. my girlfriend's brother lives in the town with the drum. i asked my girl if we were going to see her brother any time soon. she says her son is going to visit that weekend. i set up the deal with the guy on the phone, and flipped the kid $20 for gas - he was going anyway. this was a couple of years ago. got it for $200. 80's concert drum that was retrofitted with legs. would not have minded if i had ended up with a vintage bass.

shipping is a bitch, can be a deal killer.