Latest wacky idea

wackjob

Reaction score
I'm on a roll. Ha ha.........

Latest insane drum building idea coming out my wacky brain is inspired by the A&F single tension drums. I can get hold of copper sheet cut to size in a variety of thicknesses. They can supply lengths that are long enough to create a 22" bd with one sheet and only one joint required. The thickness of the sheet could be 1mm or less and that is very easy to bend without machinery into a cylinder. Following so far ?

The length of the sheet dictates the circumfrence and hence the diameter. I would make them slightly undersized like the 90's premier genista. No lugs and have not decided onmounting method. A sleishman type of mount or inde style. As the sheet is thin then no bearing edge needs to cut (yay) but i may need reinforcement rings making out of wood. I am thinking of 12", 14", 16", 22" (depths on the shallower side) and a 14 x 6" snare. I have enough heads a hoops laying around to do it. Might be the best kit ever or a huge disaster.

Am i insane ?

Rik_Everglade

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No, you are not insane. This would be cool, the wood reinforcement rings are a good thought. How do you keep them adhered to the copper? Robert Spizzichino made a few sets. He had at least one set in copper. It certainly looks beautiful.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
This has been done. Q Drums also makes this metal drums with wood reinforcement rings; I understand Dunnett did the same for Ludwig's latest SS iteration. I haven't heard any complaints about how either sound.

If you do it well it, it should sound great. Getting the hardware might be the tricky part; I tried ordering Sleishman fittings some years ago and they wanted to send shells too. Business was not done.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Dude, this would be killer! I'd gotta have a 12/14/18, though.......very interested in seeing this play out, especially a wood ring with a metal shell????

You are brilliant, not wacky, and this is a very good safe idea......now go forth and build, my friend!

wackjob

Reaction score
I tend to think things through for a long time(too long) before starting things like this. The things i design get changed from one minute to the next so eventually i have to draw the line or else nothing gets built.

The wood rings may be tricky for me to do myself unless i cut them from ply somehow rather than bending ply into round. If all else fails i guess i can get somebody else to make them. Try first without any rings at all. My outlay for this is just for the copper sheet and any re-rings if needed. I have hoops, heads, tension rods and mounting hardware already. Obviously if i go the inde mounting way i will have to buy those.

I think about this stuff too much.

Stu

Rik_Everglade

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking that you might want to make the re-rings first. For one thing, it's probably easier to get the fit right. Then wrap and cut the material around to match the rings.

drumtek

Reaction score
I love this idea. I built a steam box for bengingbsome maple rerings. Havent had a chance to use it yet.
You could get an HVAC shop to crimp the ends like they do on duct work
Soldering the seam could be a cool touch as well

Latest posts