Learning drums for Adults methodology

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
So a friend asked me to teach them drum lessons. She is learning Mandolin and has a music room equipped with some studio/dj/midi gear as well as an acoustic drum set. The Mando teacher, as well as another guitar teacher said it was suggested she take a couple of months of drum lessons to help with the rhythmic aspects of mandolin and guitar. The guitar teacher actually plays professionally with a guitar that has a separate pickup for the lower bass strings (sorta a Charlie Hunter setup) that he runs through an octave lower divider when playing live. He did a show with String Cheese incident drummer up in Oregon at a wedding. His style is very rhythmic, and he told her he requests all his beginning guitar students to take a couple of months of drum instruction at the beginning--sounds like a cool concept.

Any who I am going to run through some Haskell Harr just to get a foundation for recognizing notation and note spacing (rests, time sigs, 1/4, 1/8 1/2 notes etc). Going to work with matched grip, although I'm showing her trad grip too. May start using the bass/hat pedals in conjunction with the reading of the snare stuff. Haskell Harr often has a simple bass line under the more-complex snare line. Short of reading that, possibly have her play left foot hh 1&3 and right foot bd 2&4.

Obviously want to get going soon concurrently with some simple rock drum set patterns. And I told her to use a metronome. Honestly there seems to be a common issue with new drummers regarding spacing. Some players can play with a decent speed, but have difficulty dealing with slow tempos and/or rests (coming back in too early, rushing the rests, etc)

I just thought I'd start this off. There's a gladstone pad on the snare drum. Anyone who feels they have tried-and-true quick jumpstart adult-beginner drum-teaching technique feel free to make suggestions and/or chime in!

Stickclick

Reaction score
How good is she on mandolin? I notice that if people are good on one instrument, they learn another instrument much faster. Show her some basics and encourage her to play along with recordings. She may not be exactly a beginner.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Pounder - that all sound pretty spot on to me. IMO there really is no "jump start" available to anyone. I believe all that earlier stuff is essential and how much time it takes to get through it simply varies from student to student... regardless of them being kids or adults.

If someone "gets" something quickly, great... onto the next things. If it takes longer, it takes longer. Anyway what you're suggesting sounds good to me.

Latest posts