Learning To Read...

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
So...I have been playing drums 46 years. I never learned how to read Drum Music.

Can one of you teachers recommend a great book that makes learning the basics of reading drum music easy?

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Check out some of the titles by Joel Rothman: http://www.joelrothman.com/books.html A good starter is Teaching Rhythm.
Also it's pretty tough to beat some of the standards out the like Louis Bellson (& Gil Breines) Modern Reading Text and Odd Time Reading Text. Both of those books are single line rhythm type that can be used on the pad/snare and then applied many different ways on the kit.
Ted Reed's Progressive Steps to Syncopation is also pretty easy to go through and can be applied a million different ways.

Another thing to consider after getting your eyes used to notation, is to buy some of the commercially produced transcription books featuring songs you already know. Plenty of great books out there featuring classic rock like Zep, Hendrix, or Rush for example from Hudson, Alfred, Hal Leonard... plenty of genres from these publishers.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
Haskell Harr bk 1 is great if you just want to read the snare and bass line.

I've had great success using the Alfred's Beginning Drumset books for reading around the whole kit. It also comes with a play along CD which makes it more fun/easier.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm sure there are lots of transcriptions and sight reading "learners" on YouTube where you can play along or just follow. Any basic snare drum starter book will cover all the fractional notes and how to count/read them. Once you have that, it's just a matter of multiple lines going on at once to represent the multiple drums, hi hat, and cymbals. I recently wanted to get the "Take Five" beat down pat so looked that up on Google / YouTube and found a good transcription to model.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
And in case it hasn't been mentioned enough.... Haskell Harr Book 1

Second on the... a few lessons with a teacher to get on the path is a good idea.

And no I disagree - the majority of beginning snare drum books i've ever seen aren't at all clear and methodical towards actually learning how to read - and more importantly, teaching basic rhythm vocabulary. Too many of them just explain the theory, then just plow forward too fast with variations. IMO the Harr book does this hugely important foundational material just great.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
What’s your preferred learning style? A visual learner might learn best by watching videos. An auditory learner learns best by hearing explanations and someone playing the notes. Lots of ways to make the learning easier and more efficient.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
CSR: For me, Auditory so i can hear how a line of notes is played correctly.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
I would look for a book that has a CD included that lets you listen to the patterns with rhythms and tests. Also, look for transcriptions along with the original audio.