Least Favorite Cover Songs To Play

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
BEG may be done to death, but there's a reason why it has - it's an awesome song. I'm sure you'd get tired of chocolate ice cream three meals a day, day in, day out for months too.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I echo most of what has been mentioned above when in a rock environment. The equivalent for my Celtic band would be "Danny Boy" which we absolutely will not play. I'm Polish and don't have much of an opinion on it (other than it's boring), but I respect the opinion of my Irish brothers in the band.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mostly the dance stuff...............but the club-crowd loves it.
I try to focus on the solid tempo and look like I'm enjoying myself.

Santino

Reaction score
Wipe-Out
Freebird
Smokin' in the Boy's Room
Takin' Care of Business
Rock N' Roll (sacrilege, right?)

R

RickP

Many..

Brown Eyed Girl
Mustang Sally
Three Steps
Sweet Home Alabama
Old Time Rock and Roll
Honky Tonk Woman
Margaritaville
Keep Your Hands To Yourself
Wipeout
I would also like to add :
Freebird
Taking Care of Business
Brown Eyed Girl

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
If the crowd likes a song, I like to play it. If it has been done too many times over the years, I try and find ways to challenge myself, not by making the parts more complex, but identifying ways to make it more musical, have a deeper groove, or a better pocket.
So, yeah, I am sick of playing certain songs...but what xsabers says above wins out. I am there because the audience wants to hear those songs. So, that really helps my attitude.
If it's a really slow night, empty bar, inattentive audience, etc., then I hate playing any of them.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've always felt it was also our job
to take them (an audience) places they haven't thought of
or expect

Last edited:

Pimp-a-diddle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks like "Mustang Sally" is the unanimous winner. And I can tell you that as an audience member, it's no more of a joy to listen to either.

I haven't been in a cover band in a long time but the last one I was in( back in the early 90's )was a lot of fun. Our trip was to take classic rock songs and just sludge them out big time while keeping the vocals melodic but edgier. I can honestly say a more damning version of "Take the money and run" never existed. :D

sptucker

Reaction score
I have to say Freebird. In fact, my primary band made a pact, literally on day 1 (18 years ago) that we would not play it EVER and we haven't yet. Having said that, I/we will play literally anything else, as long as the crowd is into it. A lot of the songs people have mentioned are in our rotation, but only because they are crowd-pleasers and are mostly (thankfully) short in duration. We have played charity gigs where we handed out our entire song list and played nothing but requests, and those same songs always always always get requested.

I can say we have never played Wipeout, but I always thought it would be fun to play with the whole band switching to one of the other instruments. Would be a fun drum challenge for our bass player and I used to be able to shred it on the guitar...

Ghostin one

Reaction score
I got burnt out on "Hard to Handle" (Black Crows).

I blew up at practice once, where the guitar player needed to learn this song (and others) with the whole band there to back him up, rather than spend his own time learning his parts. I hate that!!!

It's bad enough playing the same stuff over and over as it is..

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Brown Eyed Girl
Jenny Jenny
My Sharona

Though we play them if someone asks because the audience LOVES them! Except My Sharona. I just flat can't stand that song!

Oops. Just remembered: I will walk off the stage rather than play anything by Bruce Springsteen.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
And may I add, yelling "Freebird" stopped being funny in 1980. Even then it was a stretch.