DFO Master
Reaction score
China Grove - Doobie brothers
Footloose
Old Time Rock n Roll - Bob Seger
AC DC - all
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
Back in the USSR - Beatles
Brown Eyed Girl - the way 99.9 % of the wankers round here do it .
Johnny B Good - same as above

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In a jazz context it's no contest: In the Mood.
Although, and I don't know if this counts, my perennial nightmare for a couple of years was Pat Metheny's "Last Train Home". And it got requested every friggin' night. Soft, straight 16th notes with the brushes on the snare for 10 minutes. Boring, and cramp-inducing.

trappemann

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
OK
We are on page 3 and I have not seen HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN yet!
Unchained Melody
ZZ Top or Bonnie Raitt versions of I Thank You

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Keep Your Hands To Yourself.

I. Hate. This. Song.

This song is bad country and bad rock all rolled into one turgid stink bomb.I hated it in 1987 when WXRT first scarred my psyche with it and it followed me in top 40s and later oldies cover bands for nearly 30 years.

I now refuse to do it, citing a finite amount of movement left in my arms that will not be wasted on that song.
GReat critique!

jmato

Reaction score
Takin' Care of Business
Mustang Sally
Wagon Wheel
Proud Mary

Ack!

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I could easily list 10-20 more if I really thought about it--most songs are kind of in the middle....don't really love or hate them. Do have to again mention Old Time RnR--I feel about this one like the other guy does about Keep Your Hands...

It just SUCKS!!!! If I never, ever even HEARD it again, (let alone play it), it would still be too soon!!!

drummaman1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
don't stop believin'...I'm not Steve Smith and don't like being made to play his part on this tune.
Someone is MAKING you play his part? You can play your own part to this song, and no one would notice. And then a drummer would be listening in the audience, and then they'd think less highly of you. Still, pays the same either way.

drummaman1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So, I played in a top 40 pop band and the MD was trying to spice it up with newer material. One that we had to learn was "Suit and Tie" by Justin Timberlake. I dig the tune, it's got a Marvin/Smokey vibe to it with the Jay-Z rap in the "trap" section of the tune, made it a nice change from the usual we were playing. We worked through the arrangement in rehearsal, ready for the gig.

It took a couple of gigs to realize it, but this song is an absolute dance floor destroyer (DFD) It clears dance floors faster than you can finish the first verse. Tried to tweak the arrangement, faster, slower, nothing worked. MD still insisted on playing it, because it was a new song. I told him it's not worth it if this song kills whatever gains made building the dance floor in SECONDS. And I like the vibe of the tune and JT. I guess he's the only one that can perform it and not be a dance floor killer.

I will put in here "Superstition" not because it's a bad song, but I've played it so much the past two years, I'm done. Find another Stevie song to butcher, this one is done.

One band I was in played "All Right Now" by "Free" (Paul Rodgers pre-Bad Company??) the song is fingernails on a chalkboard, but damned if it doesn't get the cute girls on to the dance floor. Well, not these days, they're all in their 50's and once they were considered "cute", now they're considered "grandma". So there you go.

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Margaritaville
Tequila Sunrise (coincidence with Margaritaville and Tequila Sunrise)
Lyin Eyes
Peaceful Easy Feeling
On all the above I get too conscious of how uneven my right hand feels. They are so terribly boring to play, enough already, make it stop.

Brown Eyed Girl - was this song ever that good?

Johnny B Goode - guitarists don't understand swug eights so any Chuck Berry tune played by a modern rocker always sounds like a cluster.

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Moondance is not a rock polka . Over the years I've witnessed this lovely tune routinely butchered by knuckle heads who " know" how to play jazz . I hate being any part of it anymore .

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Any of these recent "bluesy pop" songs where the drummer just plays 4 on the floor through the whole song.
Oh man, this is really starting to irritate me. It's everywhere now, even if it's not the whole song, that 4 on the floor keeps sneaking in.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't gig so I'm curious about this: if it's boring, why do you play it?
I noticed some of you post that some songs make the audience go to sleep. So why play that? Don't most bands have a playlist? Or is this a case of someone from the audience requesting a song?
As a hobby home drummer, I don't play anything I don't like.
Pardon my ignorance since I don't gig!

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't gig so I'm curious about this: if it's boring, why do you play it?
I noticed some of you post that some songs make the audience go to sleep. So why play that? Don't most bands have a playlist? Or is this a case of someone from the audience requesting a song?
As a hobby home drummer, I don't play anything I don't like.
Pardon my ignorance since I don't gig!
-Just because we , personally, are tired of hearing/playing a song
if the audience likes it-
...you do it- there are exceptions.
-Maybe someone in the band likes it/insists so
...you do it.
**I play it with the same enthusiasm as the rest of the songs although I'd prefer not to play it (ya love to hate it)
-Surely there are songs you dislike but in a band situation you do it for the greater good of the team.
-You pick your battles.

Last edited:

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Exactly. My "Last Train Home" example, mentioned previously, seems the other musicians like playing it because they can improvise all this relaxed floating pretty stuff, transporting the audience to a higher plane of consciousness. Meanwhile the drummer is in the back dying, trying to keep playing as rigomortis is slowly overtaking his forearms.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
-Just because we , personally, are tired of hearing/playing a song
if the audience likes it-
...you do it- there are exceptions.
-Maybe someone in the band likes it/insists so
...you do it.
**I play it with the same enthusiasm as the rest of the songs although I'd prefer not to play it (ya love to hate it)
-Surely there are songs you dislike but in a band situation you do it for the greater good of the team.
-You pick your battles.
Got it!
Now I get it.

Latest posts