Least Favorite Singer Names Favorite Drummer of All Time

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Bob Dylan is probably America’s best lyricist, but when I hear him singing one of those songs, I immediately reach for the off button.

I saw him perform once (1980) and didn’t recognize a single song, but was impressed with the skill and surprising volume of his backing band.

England’s Far Out magazine recent featured Dylan’s thoughts on his favorite drummer:

“I like the drummer I have now, he is one of the best around.,” Dylan said. “But if he ever left me for some reason, like to join The Rolling Stones or something, I’d have to replace him.”

The drummer performing with Dylan at that moment was Matt Chamberlain, a session musician who was, for a brief time, the drummer for Pearl jam. Chamberlain was born and raised in San Pedro, California. He discovered the drums as an angsty teenager of 15, and quickly fell in love with the instrument, taking lessons with David Garibaldi from the band Tower of Power. Later, he attended North Texas State’s music program but dropped out less than a year in.

After moving to Dallas, Texas, he began playing with bands and honing his skill in the city’s many clubs, bars and venues. After being spotted by Edie Brickell & New Bohemians, he recorded two albums with the band before
they broke up in 1991.

Soon afterwards he joined Pearl Jam and played with them for about three weeks in the summer of that name year. After becoming the drummer for the Saturday Night Live band, Chamberlain quickly earned a reputation as one of the most reliable session drummers in America and eventually joined Bob Dylan on his Never Ending Tour.

Desciribing the role of a good drummer and what they should avoid, Dylan said: “What should the guy avoid? Probably trying to get to know anybody too quick. No big cymbal crashes on the word “kick” in the song ‘I Get a Kick Out of You.’ So the drummer is not the leader. He follows the steady pulse of the song and the rhythmic phrasing. If he does that and keeps it simple, he doesn’t have to avoid anything,”

VB: Chamberlin recently backed Fiona Apple making dolphin noises on her latest album.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Matt is awesome, I agree. Not sure if true, but apparently when Chamberlain went over to the UK to record the first Edie Brickell & New Bohemians album the producer opted to bring in drumforum's own, Chris Whitten. Matt was benched. I wonder if this story is true, but regardless, both guys have had stellar careers. I also wonder if you travelled back in time, right to the moment after Matt got the word that they would be using another guy, and told him - no worries, you end up being Bob Dylan's favourite drummer, what his reaction would've been.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
David Kemper (saw him with Dylan-what a show (class) was fine. (also 1st time I can (looking back) recall Bosphorus cymbals being played on a 'big' stage..)
also Ian Wallace was fine..

Last edited:

spelman

Reaction score
Matt is awesome, I agree. Not sure if true, but apparently when Chamberlain went over to the UK to record the first Edie Brickell & New Bohemians album the producer opted to bring in drumforum's own, Chris Whitten. Matt was benched. I wonder if this story is true, but regardless, both guys have had stellar careers. I also wonder if you travelled back in time, right to the moment after Matt got the word that they would be using another guy, and told him - no worries, you end up being Bob Dylan's favourite drummer, what his reaction would've been.
No, this story is not true. It was the original drummer, Brandon Aly, who didn't cut it.

spelman

Reaction score
Interesting. Was he not with the group yet when they recorded the first album? I'm wondering the timeline of events.
From Modern Drummer 5/1991:

Robyn Flans: Let's begin with your joining New Bohemians.
Matt Chamberlain: I was playing in a band in Dallas called Ten Hands, when New Bohemians were starting to happen. Chris Whitten played on the first album, and when they got back from recording, they auditioned drummers. I lived right underneath Brad [Houser], their bass player. We had been in a band together called the Dudes. So he told me they were auditioning and said I should try out. I got hold of a tape, and we got together one day and jammed out, and it was magic. I had to go through a major revamping of my technique, because it was a completely different musical situation for me

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, when that "EVERYBODY MUST GET STONED" song comes on the classic rock station in the car I switch it out ASAP.

Don't know how anybody could listen to that song... terribly sung, stupid lyrics too.

(Please remember that the following lyrics are from a NOBEL PRIZE poet...???)

Well, they'll stone you and say that it's the end
Then they'll stone you and then they'll come back again
They'll stone you when you're riding in your car
They'll stone you when you're playing your guitar

Well, alrighty then, Bob.

BOTOH, the BLOOD ON THE TRACKS album was pretty darn good..

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Rainy Day Woman (women?) above....was recorded with everyone VERY stoned..I just read that recently for the first time....

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
From Modern Drummer 5/1991:

Robyn Flans: Let's begin with your joining New Bohemians.
Matt Chamberlain: I was playing in a band in Dallas called Ten Hands, when New Bohemians were starting to happen. Chris Whitten played on the first album, and when they got back from recording, they auditioned drummers. I lived right underneath Brad [Houser], their bass player. We had been in a band together called the Dudes. So he told me they were auditioning and said I should try out. I got hold of a tape, and we got together one day and jammed out, and it was magic. I had to go through a major revamping of my technique, because it was a completely different musical situation for me
Thanks!

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like he thinks drummers should be heard, just a little bit, and they should never, ever get in his Grammy winning songs way.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Dylan just announced his former bassist — “I Touch Myself” drummer Charlie Drayton — is the drummer on his upcoming 2022-2025 tour.