Led Zep Rock and Roll

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I figured out the extro for the song, didn't take me long and I over-think things but it's not that hard. I lead the triplet part with my right hand for now, I'm working on leading it with the left hand and that's a bit difficult, it's going to take me a couple weeks or more to get that muscle memory down but it's started and I'll get it but even with leading it with the right hand it sounds good but a weird transition.

This is my current project for now and I hope this thread goes somewhere because I'm on it. Hope it goes somewhere for other folks who are trying to figure this out - it's really not hard.

Anyway, I got to thinking about the intro which I totally did wrong from the getgo. This is more about the intro btw. Back to my over-thinking, I dug up a couple of videos. One has the intro linked to a Chuck Berry song that is suggested to inspire Bonzo. Makes sense but doesn't help me, sort of. Here it is:

So ok, I find this other video that wowed me because yeah, I know the timing is tricky and it made sense, start on the 3-and and that's how the intro flows into the song. Made total sense, I was all over it.. but, in this tutorial he hits 4 snare shots leading into the guitars. Here it is:

He breaks it down with simple play to get the beat, I get that but I'm running the original recording in my brain and trying to connect the math here with what's in my brain and it isn't figuring out. The 4 snare beats on this tutorial doesn't line up for me when listening to it straight up and I know it's an off intro so I go to the original song on Youtube and slow it down and count them out - I hear 5 beats into the guitars clearly and I'm confused.

Now I know I'm not the first person here to do this with songs, what am I missing?

Here's the instructional video that got me past at this point for the extro if anyone is interested, I can really relate to this guy, he made it super simple and easy to follow.

Thanks!

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
not CHUCK Berry
Little Richard..

drummer was Charles Connor a lefty
Well.. that complicates things. :lol:

The timing is the part that baffles me a little, it's stupid but a bit fascinating.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Led Zep starts on the & of 3..
yea it's totally..
Right, I get that part, I practice it like that but when I slow the original recording down I hear 5 beats until the guitar intro, not 4.

Could be my brain getting lost in the weeds, probably is.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guy knows his stuff (actually, they both do).
Luckily, he knows how to instruct it in an incredibly entertaining way.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So I figured out the extro for the song, didn't take me long and I over-think things but it's not that hard. I lead the triplet part with my right hand for now, I'm working on leading it with the left hand and that's a bit difficult, it's going to take me a couple weeks or more to get that muscle memory down but it's started and I'll get it but even with leading it with the right hand it sounds good but a weird transition.

This is my current project for now and I hope this thread goes somewhere because I'm on it. Hope it goes somewhere for other folks who are trying to figure this out - it's really not hard.

Anyway, I got to thinking about the intro which I totally did wrong from the getgo. This is more about the intro btw. Back to my over-thinking, I dug up a couple of videos. One has the intro linked to a Chuck Berry song that is suggested to inspire Bonzo. Makes sense but doesn't help me, sort of. Here it is:

So ok, I find this other video that wowed me because yeah, I know the timing is tricky and it made sense, start on the 3-and and that's how the intro flows into the song. Made total sense, I was all over it.. but, in this tutorial he hits 4 snare shots leading into the guitars. Here it is:

He breaks it down with simple play to get the beat, I get that but I'm running the original recording in my brain and trying to connect the math here with what's in my brain and it isn't figuring out. The 4 snare beats on this tutorial doesn't line up for me when listening to it straight up and I know it's an off intro so I go to the original song on Youtube and slow it down and count them out - I hear 5 beats into the guitars clearly and I'm confused.

Now I know I'm not the first person here to do this with songs, what am I missing?

Here's the instructional video that got me past at this point for the extro if anyone is interested, I can really relate to this guy, he made it super simple and easy to follow.

Thanks!

It’s just a rhythmic illusion with a pickup on the & of 3 leading to 1 in the first measure, where Bonham accents the pickup to make it sound like it’s starting on 1. Very cool effect!

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The way I teach this is by humming the intro hits from "Jailhouse Rock". I've found students can "hear" it easier if you assign those pitches to the hits.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's interesting. I hear the intro to Johnny B. Goode.
Me too. Whenever that tune comes up on fill in gigs, that's what I tell the rest of the band to listen for as I lead them in. It's weird how many decent musicians think the extra beat and a half is tagged on the end instead of an anacrusis.

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've known forever that the tune comes in on the & of 3, and the Jonny be Good apology is rught in.
I've listened to the song so much, I thankfully don't count it. When I do, if feels wrong??
What's really impressive, and cool about the song, is the snare and hats are playing at the same time over the beat at 172 BPM.
An excellent left hand exercise is playing both hands for the entire tune. Once that's a non thought, I add the bass, and snare under it..
The studio end solo isn't difficult (but it leads L handed), but he ended it differently every time when he played it live, and I've yet to hear anything other than brilliant endings.
Bonzology on YouTube know every live ending thst there's a bootleg of. He really has Bonham down

bbunks

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've known forever that the tune comes in on the & of 3, and the Jonny be Good apology is rught in.
I've listened to the song so much, I thankfully don't count it. When I do, if feels wrong??
What's really impressive, and cool about the song, is the snare and hats are playing at the same time over the beat at 172 BPM.
An excellent left hand exercise is playing both hands for the entire tune. Once that's a non thought, I add the bass, and snare under it..
The studio end solo isn't difficult (but it leads L handed), but he ended it differently every time when he played it live, and I've yet to hear anything other than brilliant endings.
Bonzology on YouTube know every live ending thst there's a bootleg of. He really has Bonham down
Yeah, i can play the intro correctly, but groovin’ this as a two handed shuffle at 172 bpm is where the action is!

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, i can play the intro correctly, but groovin’ this as a two handed shuffle at 172 bpm is where the action is!
Have you heard the drum iso on this? I believe it's the newest to find it's way out of some dark closet. All I can say is wow! The studio recordings don't do Bonham justice. The bsss drum is flowing along with the hands. All that really comes through on the studio recordings are his foot accents. He wss what 19-20 years old? Frighteningly good