Leedy and Ludwig “New Era” Outfit

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy a complete early ‘55 New Era Outfit. What’s the chance I might find a matching floor tom, ideally a 14, in silver sparkle? Also, I find it interesting the snare and tom are w/o a muffler. Any experience with that anomaly. Thanks!

1600732197418.jpeg

Last edited:

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Leedy and Ludwig ever made a 14x14 floor tom; only 16" x16, 16x18, 18x20, 20x20. Finding any Leedy and Ludwig floor tom is really hard. Cost me a lot when I finally found the BDP one on ebay I was looking for forever, and Mark Cooper grabbed it before me (for $99, good old ebay days...).
Leedy and Ludwig cataloged silver sparkle, but I don't think I've ever seen one, so it's pretty rare finish. I'd grab that set anyway, and deal with a non perfectly matching floor tom.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't think Leedy and Ludwig ever made a 14x14 floor tom; only 16" x16, 16x18, 18x20, 20x20. Finding any Leedy and Ludwig floor tom is really hard. Cost me a lot when I finally found the BDP one on ebay I was looking for forever, and Mark Cooper grabbed it before me (for $99, good old ebay days...).
Leedy and Ludwig cataloged silver sparkle, but I don't think I've ever seen one, so it's pretty rare finish. I'd grab that set anyway, and deal with a non perfectly matching floor tom.
Thanks Rich! I took your suggestion and bought it. It’s being shipped. It will need a deep cleaning. I now noticed the absence of a 14x14 in the ‘53 catalog. I actually gig w/o a FT from time to time and like a 16” with the 20/12 outfit so I will keep an eye out for one. For now I have a some Slingerland and Ludwig silver FTs that hope will match. Thanks again!