Leedy and Strupe natural finish snare drum

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Had never heard of an L&S drum until yesterday...."drummers equipment." Was helping someone decipher some vintage snare drums they had and I had no clue on this one other than it looked 30's or early 40's. Someone "at a drum store" had told them it was very valuable and/or rare. And to me, it seemed sort of a lower end drum for the era.

There's not much information out there on the various L&S lines and what they look like. Found an old listing on Reverb for one that was pretty close to this 6 lugger. Probably a student or entry level drum. It didn't have any snare wires attached. But the seller showed me a box of old stuff and in it was a torn 14" calf skin head with "Leedy and Strupe" written on it via tape. Also in that box was a 12 wire set of metal snare wires that looked 30's or 40's. It might fit that L&S but I had no way to tell. I told the owner it was probably a $150-$300 drum. And now that I know a little more about them, probably closer to that $150 level

Attachments

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
I sold a COB L&S six lug snare drum for 125 some years ago .

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I sold a COB L&S six lug snare drum for 125 some years ago .

Thanks for that input BennyK. At least I'm in the ball park. From the listings I've run across, the metal drums seem more prevalent than wood ones. When I first saw the drum from 10 ft away, I assumed it was a very early Gretsch round badge. No such luck.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There's not much big demand for them. I have a 6-lugger, light brass shell with a primitive strainer. Not a great sound, but they are part of our U.S. drum history. I'd say your wood one would be worth a bit more than mine- say $150-175 all cleaned up. There was a really nice example like yours at Lawton's show some years ago.

Is that one-ply? Walnut?

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wasn't able to take it apart and look inside. It could be walnut. Either that or mahogany.

paulmilano

Reaction score
I have the exact drum pictured in your post. Six lug L&S 13 in (mine is 8 1/2 tall from top to bottom of rims). It was my grandfather's drum that I found in our attic after he died. It got me started on drums back in 1962.
L&S (Leedy & Strupe) existed for only about 10 years in the 1920s, as far as I recall. Actually made good drums. I have been looking for the snare strainer (since I foolishly took mine off when I was a kid!). Just found one on eBay today!!

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have the exact drum pictured in your post. Six lug L&S 13 in (mine is 8 1/2 tall from top to bottom of rims). It was my grandfather's drum that I found in our attic after he died. It got me started on drums back in 1962.
L&S (Leedy & Strupe) existed for only about 10 years in the 1920s, as far as I recall. Actually made good drums. I have been looking for the snare strainer (since I foolishly took mine off when I was a kid!). Just found one on eBay today!!
Cool, and welcome to the Forum, Paul. I would love to see a pic of your drum.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here is a picture. My drum instructor, Frank Arsenault (rudimental drumming icon) turned the drum into a practice pad for me by putting a piece of plywood and a thin, firm circle of rubber under the drum head. Works great!
Wow, you studied with Frank Arsenault? Rudimental drumming may not be my thing, but... ultimate respect, sir! His books were definitely part of any studious drummer's library and study materials. They were everywhere!

bonzo60

Reaction score
The tension rods appear to be hex head fillister rods which would be correct. They require a special key, not easily found. The Dictator was probably the finest drum they produced. Here's some historical info on L&S.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The tension rods appear to be hex head fillister rods which would be correct. They require a special key, not easily found. The Dictator was probably the finest drum they produced. Here's some historical info on L&S.
L&S are also mentioned in the Aldridge book, as well Cangany's book, though this NSMD article is newer than both of those. I think there are at least snippets of info in the books not found in this article, though this article has things not in the books.

Thanks for the link, bonzo.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I once had a 5x14" Leedy & Strupe Aluminum snare with a center bead and 6 aluminum tube lugs, single flange hoops and claw hooks. 1930s era. Sounded just like a Supra 400.

Latest posts