Leedy and Strupe natural finish snare drum

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Had never heard of an L&S drum until yesterday...."drummers equipment." Was helping someone decipher some vintage snare drums they had and I had no clue on this one other than it looked 30's or early 40's. Someone "at a drum store" had told them it was very valuable and/or rare. And to me, it seemed sort of a lower end drum for the era.

There's not much information out there on the various L&S lines and what they look like. Found an old listing on Reverb for one that was pretty close to this 6 lugger. Probably a student or entry level drum. It didn't have any snare wires attached. But the seller showed me a box of old stuff and in it was a torn 14" calf skin head with "Leedy and Strupe" written on it via tape. Also in that box was a 12 wire set of metal snare wires that looked 30's or 40's. It might fit that L&S but I had no way to tell. I told the owner it was probably a $150-$300 drum. And now that I know a little more about them, probably closer to that $150 level

Attachments

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
I sold a COB L&S six lug snare drum for 125 some years ago .

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I sold a COB L&S six lug snare drum for 125 some years ago .

Thanks for that input BennyK. At least I'm in the ball park. From the listings I've run across, the metal drums seem more prevalent than wood ones. When I first saw the drum from 10 ft away, I assumed it was a very early Gretsch round badge. No such luck.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There's not much big demand for them. I have a 6-lugger, light brass shell with a primitive strainer. Not a great sound, but they are part of our U.S. drum history. I'd say your wood one would be worth a bit more than mine- say $150-175 all cleaned up. There was a really nice example like yours at Lawton's show some years ago.

Is that one-ply? Walnut?

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wasn't able to take it apart and look inside. It could be walnut. Either that or mahogany.

Latest posts