Leedy & Ludwig 1951 snare

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
Hello again,

I found a killer deal on a snare and from experience I have learned to be careful when something seems to good to be true.
So, long story short.

The seller claims this is a 1951 original Leedy&Ludwig snare.
It’s a players snare for sure.
The throw-off seems shady to me but I could be wrong.
What do you think,original or a Franken- snare?
They’re asking $150.
Thank you guys and gals!

Attachments

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yep throw was changed.It looks like a rewrap to me even tho the new wrap is cracked. If it sounds good it might be worth $150.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rescue that sucker. Anything that deep and that old wood; looks like maple /mahogany or just mahogany and Rings? Get it.

That thing will timewarp you back into 1946 quicker than you can say Benny Hill.
If it's all in one piece (not ungluing itself inside) that's equivalent to all the classic wood shell snares

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
I passed. It was too Frankenstein’d, no tone and stored in a hotter than hell shipping container.
Kinda shady.
Thank you again everyone that helped.I love this forum!

Tama CW

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I passed. It was too Frankenstein’d, no tone and stored in a hotter than hell shipping container.
Kinda shady.
Thank you again everyone that helped.I love this forum!
If I only bought drums in person that had "good tone" at time of inspection, I'd go home empty handed most of the time. Between horrible heads and bad tuning....they almost always sound lousy at first....especially snare drums.
A 1940's to early 1950's full sized-professional model snare drum by a major US maker for $150 that isn't cracked or decrepit, is usually a deal.

I paid the "full asking price" of $125 for this one.....and did consider walking away upon seeing it. It had re-ring and ply gaps "everywhere." Certainly couldn't "play" it. But, then figured the parts alone on it were worth WAY over asking price. It cleaned up decently.

Before and After.

slingerland rk barn find 1948 AS FOUND.jpg
slingerland rk barn find 1948 ALL DONE.JPG

Last edited:

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
If I only bought drums in person that had "good tone" at time of inspection, I'd go home empty handed most of the time. Between horrible heads and bad tuning....they almost always sound lousy at first....especially snare drums.
A 1940's to early 1950's full sized-professional model snare drum by a major US maker for $150 that isn't cracked or decrepit, is usually a deal.

I paid the "full asking price" of $125 for this one.....and did consider walking away upon seeing it. It had re-ring and ply gaps "everywhere." Certainly couldn't "play" it. But, then figured the parts alone on it were worth WAY over asking price. It cleaned up decently.

Before and After.

View attachment 504521 View attachment 504522
I looked through all their snares and I couldn’t find a solid maple shell. I have mahogany already and I have restored enough to suit my needs. You did a fantastic job on yours. I really love the Radiokings and you saved one from a certain death!

flatwins

Reaction score
It’s a Leedy & Ludwig Broadway but they normally came with double flanged hoops instead of single flanged w/ clips. Someone probably switched them out along the way. I’m a sucker for L&L stuff (have a bunch of it) so I’d have probably gone for it, even if to use for parts.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a Leedy & Ludwig Broadway but they normally came with double flanged hoops instead of single flanged w/ clips. Someone probably switched them out along the way. I’m a sucker for L&L stuff (have a bunch of it) so I’d have probably gone for it, even if to use for parts.
Yeah, those are old Slingerland collar hooks.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tama: What you did with that Slingy is remarkable. How did you get the rust off?