Leedy Snare Drum Value

DonS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone have any idea as to the value of this drum? It's a Leedy built around 1925, solid mahogany shell with nickel hardware. It has been cleaned only and this is the original condition once the crud came off. I've read this drum in a black finish should have gold hardware; there is no evidence whatsoever the hardware was ever gold plated. The only missing pieces are four slotted tension rods. The butt plate was fabricated by Adrian Kirchler and the set screw for the strainer handle is not original. I put Aquarian Vintage heads on it and Puresound 16 strand wires. I've got the original calf batter and the snare side hoop only. I've got many more photos as I photographed the drum when received, during cleaning and once finished; these are a few of the finished photos.
Thanks for any assistance.
Regards
DonS

View attachment 124326 View attachment 124329

View attachment 124327 View attachment 124330

View attachment 124328

Track

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And please beware of those green "cords" that Puresound provides with their wires. They are plastic coated metal wire and with enough tension, will cut straight into your snare side head and snare beds. Not worth the risk, IMHO, especially on such a lovely drum!

DonS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on the "cord" but I merely used it to photograph the finished drum. The stuff is next to impossible to tie taut on old multi hole strainers like this Leedy.
Regards
DonS

atomicdave

DFO Star
Reaction score
well, PRICE CHECK DFO can provide a wide range of valuations! I'm no expert on these but there is a member here WHO IS! Is the shell solid ply or 3-ply? (solid worth a bit more). The thing with drums in the high range for value is that they must be 100% original, or very close, possibly with period correct parts. You would need the 4 missing rods...the butt plate I'm not sure, but Kirchler makes top notch repros, an orginal wouldnt be hard to find. The knob should prob have Leedy stamped on it, and James wires (wound wires over silk) would be a must, as well as calf heads. Then, the only problem is that big gaping hole with no badge...It looks enlarged as if badge was improperly removed and corrected with a big drill. OK, not trying to knock the drum as its mostly there and from a great era of production for Leedy. With all that said, as it is now, its really in the "excellent player" range, and not in the high $ collectable range. I think any vintage solid shell snare in nice shape should be worth at least 300 (look at what a new one with import parts costs!) I would say, as is, prob 400ish.

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
well, PRICE CHECK DFO can provide a wide range of valuations! I'm no expert on these but there is a member here WHO IS! Is the shell solid ply or 3-ply? (solid worth a bit more). The thing with drums in the high range for value is that they must be 100% original, or very close, possibly with period correct parts. You would need the 4 missing rods...the butt plate I'm not sure, but Kirchler makes top notch repros, an orginal wouldnt be hard to find. The knob should prob have Leedy stamped on it, and James wires (wound wires over silk) would be a must, as well as calf heads. Then, the only problem is that big gaping hole with no badge...It looks enlarged as if badge was improperly removed and corrected with a big drill. OK, not trying to knock the drum as its mostly there and from a great era of production for Leedy. With all that said, as it is now, its really in the "excellent player" range, and not in the high $ collectable range. I think any vintage solid shell snare in nice shape should be worth at least 300 (look at what a new one with import parts costs!) I would say, as is, prob 400ish.
I don't believe that era Leedy snare ever had a badge.Now that hole would have had a gromet, maybe even a wood one but no badge.

vintage_collector

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't believe that era Leedy snare ever had a badge.Now that hole would have had a gromet, maybe even a wood one but no badge.

I was also gonna say WOOD grommet, Ive had some very old Leedys that had them. I may have original silk wires and the other parts if you need them.

curotto

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hi Don,
Nice drum...
The grommet hole looks larger than normal but that may be the angle of the photo.
There was a gold or black wood grommet where the air hole is, these are
somewhat tricky to find as you usually have to take it off of a thrashed
shell. I have a bag of wood grommets, send me the air hole diameter and we
can go from there.

1920s-30s butt plates are very easy to find, I have a box of 75 +/-, that
would have been easier and less expensive but AK is a master Artisan that is
worth his weight in gold!

Leedy slotted tension rods are fairly easy to find even if they are longer
you can cut them to the correct length and have your local machinist
re-thread if needed.

Leedy offered options re: hardware plating; whereas your drum may have been
offered with gold plated hardware there is the possibility that the owner
chose nickel plating.

If the finish is original black enamel (not re-enameled) and you get that
grommet for the shell I would say your drum is worth 600.00-1000.00.

I hope this helps.

Mike Curotto

Latest posts