header.nohb.html

Leedy Snare score

Richie Paradise

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just got this off the bay. I have a similar model in WMP but not in as good condition.

Looks good and a pretty fair price too for over here in UK
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150864113110&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

;-)

Lee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice score! I have always thought the Leedy lugs were some of the prettiest and classiest looking lugs made. They have that deco vibe.

Richie Paradise

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Turned up today and she's a beauty. I'm not sure of the model but it has the same snare mechanism as the Shelley Manne model. Not too many snares on Vintage drum guide to be 100% sure
http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/leedy_snare_drums_catalog_pages.html
Stamped april 1966 inside shell which is immaculate.

View attachment 137830

View attachment 137828

Gonna have a good bash on it on sunday. Have to say £200 with almost new heads and a case, is a prettay prettay good deal :)

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
Richie:

Is your Red Satin Flame Leedy snare an eight lugger? If it's an eight lugger, it would be a Shelly Manne model. Here's my August, 1963 Shelly Manne snare. If yours is a six lugger.....hell if I know what model it would be. I have another Shelly Manne snare in Pink Sparkle on the way to me. The 1966 date on yours puzzles me. Slingerland must have shipped some of the left over Leedy drums in 1966.

nonagon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a white satin flame version of that drum. Does yours have a solid shell or plies? Mine looks like it's a one ply but it's hard to tell.

Richie Paradise

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's 8 lugs so must be a Shelley :)

I haven't taken the heads offset so don't know if it's one ply, moving in a few days so bit busy to look but will do soon.

Is it just me or is it pretty much impossible to turn the snares off fully?

Had a play with my big band today , nicely sensitive with a compact sound that comes out well in backbeats. Fun drum and a keeper for sure.