Lefties..

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Levy was a lefty? I never knew.
I remember watching Lenny White up close playing straight ahead at Murphy's Place in Toledo about 10-15 years ago. It was blowing my mind because he sets up righty but plays lefty and was playing traditional grip (hands). Watching and hearing fills around the kit was a trip. Of course he played beautifully. Also on the gig: Buster Williams, David Kikoski, and I think Ron Blake. Bunch of lightweights!

There is nothing like seeing such artists up close.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always thought Stan didn’t get his due.

He doesn’t seem to be nearly as well remembered or respected as his contemporaries like Art Blakey and Max Roach. Stan doesn’t even make Drummers World top 50 list, which is a sin! He could very well be considered the very first true bop drummer and he had an extensive recording career that matches anyone. He led a really interesting life, both in and out of drumming to. All around good guy.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may not have seen this

Yes, I’ve seen it. And I know Charlie had a drummers crush on Stan. But still, not to make the top 50 list is a real slap and kind of proof that Stan didn’t get his due. And Max Roach was #1 or 2 on that list and I think they were both contemporaries and pretty similar in many ways, so why such a huge disparity?

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow ... this is a great film . Thank you .

Reactions: JDA