Lefties..

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Drummer Bob Leonard played with Woody Herman among others. Apparently still in the NYC area? He is miscredited in the first video as “Joseph”.

Nubs

Reaction score
Being a lefty drummer is a hell of a lot better than being a lefty guitarist. We can use 99.99% of the drum sets out there.

Lefty guitarists get screwed big time on guitars, although the overall lefty market is getting better.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
lefty drummers may have a predisposition to mastering keyboards since the bass keys correspond to the left foot applications . boom boom bing boom boom bing boom boom bing boom boom boom boom bing . binga binga binga bing .

Dillasdonuts

Reaction score
I am a lefty drummer but I did switch my kit up to play open-handed on a righty setup. Some days are better than others.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can play righty about 65% equal to playing lefty. If I got my right foot in shape on doubles and endurance, it would be more like 80%. A year of seriously practicing open-handed or righty and I'd be close to equally proficient with either hand or foot leading. That said, I don't know if it would be worth the trouble since I'm never in a situation where needing to play righty is paramount.

Mayan

Reaction score
I’m a southpaw who learned to play drums right handed. This thread makes me feel like a fraud as a southpaw, and a fraud as a drummer, in a way. Tough day I guess.

edit: I’m a total wannabe drummer, so having said that, I can’t really be a fraud. I feel a little better.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Being a lefty drummer is a hell of a lot better than being a lefty guitarist. We can use 99.99% of the drum sets out there.

Lefty guitarists get screwed big time on guitars, although the overall lefty market is getting better.
When I worked at the local music store, I actually taught myself to play guitar with my hand flipped over the other way.
Probably looked bizzare, but it worked good enough to demo them for customers.

Elvis

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was (don't ask why) looking at Tiny Tim's Wiki page and it stated that he played the uke left handed and guitar right handed.