LEGEND drums

Fly navy

Reaction score
I just picked up a LEGEND kit.....hoping someone here can help me decipher a few things.......
The kit is yellow lacquer and appers to be in really good shape. All bearing edges are good, finish is good, hardware is surprisingly good. All drums have a paper tag on the inside that has model number, serial number, and a date (which I am assuming is the “born” date).
Sizes are 18” BD, 8” and 10” mounted toms, 14” Floor tom, and 14” snare with die cast hoops.
What do the numbers on the tags mean?
Did these snare drums come with die cast hoops, or did someone add them?
Happy to provide pictures once I have the chance to photograph them.
Thanks in advance fo any help!!

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh, yes = pictures please!

As a Kaman/Gibraltar dealer, the music store where I worked carried several of the LEGEND drum sets, and I fell in love with each and every set. I loved everything about them. At that time, though, I had to make a choice between buying a new LEGEND kit or the new Recording Customs at a huge discount. Ended up with the RCs, but I've always regretted not finding some way to obtain a LEGEND kit, too.

I long ago lost my complete set of drum catalogue binders that included catalogues, dealer price lists, option lists, codes - everything. So, I can't help you with the numbers. Somebody here will be along to help you, though.

I can affirm that your snare drum came with cast hoops as stock. LEGEND went all the way with their drum sets - nothing was overlooked, and nothing was less than the best available at that time.

GeeDeeEmm

Fly navy

Reaction score
View attachment 388436 This kit right? Can’t help you deciphering numbers but I’ve had these since ‘96ish. Love em. Toms came on a stand so I added the mount and better spurs (amongst other blasphemous things).
That is exatly the color of the ones I got!

Attachments

Fly navy

Reaction score
Oh, yes = pictures please!

As a Kaman/Gibraltar dealer, the music store where I worked carried several of the LEGEND drum sets, and I fell in love with each and every set. I loved everything about them. At that time, though, I had to make a choice between buying a new LEGEND kit or the new Recording Customs at a huge discount. Ended up with the RCs, but I've always regretted not finding some way to obtain a LEGEND kit, too.

I long ago lost my complete set of drum catalogue binders that included catalogues, dealer price lists, option lists, codes - everything. So, I can't help you with the numbers. Somebody here will be along to help you, though.

I can affirm that your snare drum came with cast hoops as stock. LEGEND went all the way with their drum sets - nothing was overlooked, and nothing was less than the best available at that time.

GeeDeeEmm

Attachments

squidart

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is exatly the color of the ones I got!
Yep. Beautiful translucent honey laquer. I believe the Ovation guitar finishers were doing that part at the time.
I’ve used these for everything from prog rock to small combo jazz.

Fly navy

Reaction score
I just picked up a LEGEND kit.....hoping someone here can help me decipher a few things.......
The kit is yellow lacquer and appers to be in really good shape. All bearing edges are good, finish is good, hardware is surprisingly good. All drums have a paper tag on the inside that has model number, serial number, and a date (which I am assuming is the “born” date).
Sizes are 18” BD, 8” and 10” mounted toms, 14” Floor tom, and 14” snare with die cast hoops.
What do the numbers on the tags mean?
Did these snare drums come with die cast hoops, or did someone add them?
Happy to provide pictures once I have the chance to photograph them.
Thanks in advance fo any help!!
The 18” bass drum was why I bought them. I had never seen a LEGEND 18” BD before. Best I can tell from the “born” dates, they were all made in March 1996. They are not perfect.....BD hoops are beat all to hell......but enough was very right to make it an easy call, especially at the price I got them for.
I am very excited to start tearing them down to clean and polish up and PLAY!!!

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice set, enjoy!
Always admired Legend drums and their quality
I got my first one recently, a 5.5x13 snare, from a DFO brother.
I don't know why I thought this was a brand you had owned before and spoken about before. I must be thinking of someone else.

I have had a few of their snare drums, always high quality instruments. Here is a great deal on one for anyone in LA area: https://reverb.com/item/17963609-kaman-legend-snare-5-5x14

drummertom

DFO Veteran
Staff member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Legend snare that is pretty nice. The shell is nice and the hardware is solid.

gkrk

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Did Joe Montineri design and/or build these for Kaman?

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
you know its really ashame that the brand didn't make it...the drums were great, the logos were great, the hardware (lugs/throws) were great... I had one of their brass snares... selling it put it high on the regret list...it was amazing...