LEGEND kit

va87

Reaction score
I have recently come into possesion of a LEGEND drum kit, and I am hoping to gain some knowledge about their value and history.

This kit is 8/10/12/14/16 toms (14 and 16 are FT's), 22 kick, and a 13 SD. Finish in checking in places on some of the drums, but still a beautiful teal lacquer. BD was hurt on resonant side bearing edge and repaired by Mike at Atlanta Musicians Exchange. VERY good fix. Reso BD hoop was broken in two, so replaced it with unfinished maple hoop.Still have the batter side hoop and other unfinished hoop as well.Paper tags inside all drums, and it appears the 10/12/14 toms, BD and SD are pretty much sequential. Hardware is in very good condition with very minimal pitting/rust.

I know that these drums were considered high quality when they were current. I am torn about the finish......should I strip and do another lacquer job, cover them, or leave them alone?

Pictures are the snare and 8" tom, and 10" shell.

Opinions/comments/thoughts are welcome and appreciated!!

legend snare.jpg
Picture 028.jpg
Picture 029.jpg
Picture 031.jpg
Picture 034.jpg
Picture 035.jpg
Picture 036.jpg
Picture 037.jpg

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
Those a really nice drums. They are Keller shells. Legend Drums were John Roderick's baby, at Kaman music. John was the Gibraltar product manager at the time. Just as Legend Drums were getting off the ground, Kaman needed to show a good spreadsheet to get a military contract. Since Legend was just red ink, as they were just getting launched, they were among the cuts. John Roderick left for D'Addario shortly thereafter. Meanwhile, the few drumsets that were sold are great sounding drums. Harvey Mason was the original endorser.

va87

Reaction score
TommyWells said:
Those a really nice drums. They are Keller shells. Legend Drums were John Roderick's baby, at Kaman music. John was the Gibraltar product manager at the time. Just as Legend Drums were getting off the ground, Kaman needed to show a good spreadsheet to get a military contract. Since Legend was just red ink, as they were just getting launched, they were among the cuts. John Roderick left for D'Addario shortly thereafter. Meanwhile, the few drumsets that were sold are great sounding drums. Harvey Mason was the original endorser.
Thank you Tommy!
So what would you guess the value of them to be? Should I leave them alone, or think about refinishing them, either strip/re-lacquer or wrap? What would that do to the value, or does it even have any effect on that , so long as any re-work is done well and has a good result? I have already stripped all of the hardware off of all of the drums and cleaned it all in an ultra-sonic hot tank.......turned out very well for the hardware too! They sound really nice, even with two-ply heads (I am more of a single-ply, wide open sound kind of guy).

Thanks again for your reply!!

S

skinsman

I really like legends....great drums and really hard to come by. Very few around. Dont mess with the finish....those are going to be really collectible down the road.

W&A Player

DFO Master
Reaction score
They're almost 20 years old. I suggest that you spiff them up--only. No refinishing or wrapping. And. please.....no stripping to be of (un)natural bare wood. Perhaps have the bass drum hoops finished up to look like original equipment. In 2021, they will be 25 years old, and considered by many to be "vintage" drums. There's that nebulous term again. A First Act drum set in Walmart may be "vintage" last Thursday. By "vintage", most of us here are in synch about that term meaning older than X number of years, and hopefully, with collectible value. My "vintage" sense tells me that 25 years old qualifies as vintage even though my personal preferences for "vintage" drums spans the late 1940's through 1969. It's very difficult for me to consider a set of 1989 Asian-made drums as being "vintage" collectibles. But many drum collectors were born after my favorite drum companies had ceased to exist. But, back to the topic........Those Legend drums are outstandingly good. Please do nothing but clean them up, tune them up, and enjoy them.

Latest posts